Jamila S. Mensah
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Jamila S. MensahvCard
Related services and key industries
Jamila is a partner in Norton Rose Fulbright's Houston office. Her practice covers all areas of employment law, including extensive experience in discrimination, retaliation and wage and hour issues.
In particular, Jamila represents clients in federal and state court and before administrative bodies, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, and the Occupational Health and Safety Administration. Jamila also counsels and trains employers on a wide range of employment issues, including hiring, termination, wage and hour compliance, disability accommodation, employment discrimination, and drafting of employee handbooks and personnel policies. Additionally, Jamila conducts internal investigations for clients on sensitive employment-related issues.
Jamila is admitted to practice before the US District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Western, and Eastern Districts of Texas, and the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
SHRM, Professional HR Development Certificate, Rice University, 2013
JD, with honors, University of Texas, 2006
BA, English, Rice University, 2000
- Texas State Bar
- Successfully defended a waste services company on appeal in the Fifth Circuit against claims of race, age, and disability discrimination
- Obtained a successful resolution to a sexual harassment and retaliation trial in federal court.
- Obtained directed verdict for defense in five-plaintiff workers' compensation retaliation case.
- Conducted confidential investigations of sensitive employment issues for employers in various industries
Defended national retailer in cases involving claims of discrimination, retaliation, violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act, violations of the Family and Medical Leave Act, and various common law claims.
Provided extensive guidance and training to international oilfield services and supply company on the use of criminal background check information in hiring.
Represented waste services company in bringing claims against former employee for unfair competition and trade secret theft.
Prepared and conducted employee training programs on topics such as workers' compensation, discrimination, and harassment.
Litigated complex discovery issues, including privilege, motions to quash depositions, confidentiality, expert witnesses, and electronic discovery.
Defended clients in federal and state court wage and hour litigation, including nationwide class and collective actions arising under the Fair Labor Standards Act and various state statutes.
Defended employers in litigation alleging wrongful interference and other claims under ERISA.
Member of trial team that obtained favorable jury verdict for an employer in a sex discrimination and retaliation case.
Represented clients before federal and state agencies, such as the Department of Labor, the EEOC and the Texas Workforce Commission, including responding to EEOC complaints, appearing for audits and administrative hearings, and drafting position statements.
Advised clients on novel legal issues arising under federal and state wage/hour and discrimination laws, including the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII, the Equal Pay Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, and the Family and Medical Leave Act, and on various labor and employment law issues, including unfair competition, breach of duty of loyalty, and state and federal privacy laws.
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2016 - 2021
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2018 - 2019
- Texas Rising Star, employment & labor, Thomson Reuters, 2014 - 2017
- Co-author, "INSIGHT: A 'Simple and Momentous' Title VII Opinion—What Employers Need to Know," Bloomberg Law, June 19, 2020
- "What Businesses Need to Know About Open Carry Laws," Houston Business Journal, December 16, 2015
- Prepared a chapter on basic employment law issues for the Food and Drug Law Institute's "Bringing Your Pharmaceutical Drug to Market" publication, September 2014
- "A Year In Review: Wrapping Up Midterm Elections and Forecasting 2019," NRF Webinar, December 13, 2018
- "Marijuana Matters in the Workplace: Cannabis and Employment Law in the US and Canada, American Petroleum Labor Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, Houston, October 11, 2018
- "Preventing Harassment in the Workplace," Texas Sign Association Annual Convention, Gavleston, June 30, 2018
- "Knowing When (and How) to Let Go: Best Practices for Employee Terminations," HR Houston – Society of Human Resources, April 11, 2018
- Sexual Harassment Webinar, Association of Corporate Counsel, March 9, 2018
- "Preventing Harassment In the Workplace," Shell Oil Legal Department, Houston, February 26, 2018
- Employment Law Update, Texas Minority Counsel Program, Austin, November 9, 2017
- "Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Training for Managers and Supervisors," Merichem Company, Houston, May 10, 2017
- "Termination Best Practices," HR Houston – Society of Human Resources, Houston, May 5, 2017
- "Termination Best Practices," Gulf Coast Symposium on Human Resources, Houston, May 12-13, 2016
- Presented on major trending cases and updates at the NRF Quarterly Employment and Labor Law Update, Houston, April 21, 2016
- "ADA Compliance Training," Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, January 27, 2016
- "There is a Fight Going On: Protecting Your Organization and Yourself from Workplace Violence," HR Houston – Human Resource Management Association, October 27, 2015
- "There is a Fight Going On: Protecting Your Organization and Yourself from Workplace Violence," NRF Webinar, September 17, 2015
- Internal Investigation Training, Rowan Industries, Houston, June 9, 2015
- Anti-Harassment Training Sessions, Tokio Marine HCC, Houston, May-June 2015
- Anti-Harassment Training, Texas A&M Foundation, College Station, May 11, 2015
- Presented on the WARN Act at the NRF Quarterly Employment and Labor Law Update, Houston, April 21, 2015
- Employment Investigation Training, Memorial Hermann Hospital System, March 4, 2015
- "Preparing for the EEOC's Latest Initiatives," HR Houston – Human Resource Management Association, February 10, 2015
- Presented on EEOC enforcement actions at the NRF Quarterly Employment and Labor Law Update, Houston, September 23, 2014
- Association of Rice University Black Alumni (ARUBA) - Chair
- Houston Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Section
- Gender Fairness Committee (former Co-Chair)
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity - Fellow
- National Employment Law Council
- Rice University Lawyer Alumni
- Bo's Place - Marathon Committee Member
- Spring ISD Education Foundation - Associate Director (former President)
May 19, 2020
October 29, 2019
July 29, 2019
Webinar | June 25, 2020
Publication | June 25, 2020