Deanne M. Barrow
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Deanne Barrow is a transactional attorney focusing on commercial transactions relating to the development and financing of renewable energy and infrastructure projects, energy storage and emerging technologies.
Her clients include emerging and high-growth companies as well as large corporate developers, lenders and investors.
She regularly counsels on a wide variety of commercial agreements that include debt and equity financing; partnerships, joint ventures and co-development arrangements; intellectual property licensing; PPA, EPC, O&M, asset management, equipment supply and professional services agreements and product warranties.
Deanne serves as the U.S. editor of the firm's quarterly Energy Storage Updater.
- LL.M, with highest honors, Energy and Environmental Law, Thomas Burgenthal Scholarship, George Washington University Law School, 2011
- BA, with honors, Law, University of Cambridge, 2007
- BS, with highest honors, Chemical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2004
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar
- Advised startup Innolith Science and Technology GmbH on the development and commercialization of a novel rechargeable Inorganic Battery Technology.
- Advised a pionnering cleantech company on commercial agreements for a gravity and kinetic energy based, long-duration energy storage solution.
- Represented Société Générale and Silicon Valley Bank in connection with the financing of the Lawa'i solar and battery storage project in Kauai, Hawaii (read more about the project here).
- Represented a consortium of lenders in connection with the US$2.3 billion financing of the CCGT/battery storage Southland repowering project in southern California sponsored by The AES Corporation (named "North American Power Deal of the Year" by Project Finance International).
- Represented Dividend Finance, LLC in connection with a US$105 million warehouse aggregation facility and subsequent securitization of residential solar loans (named "Esoteric Asset-Backed Securities Deal of the Year" by GlobalCapital).
- Represented SunPower Corporation in connection with a tax equity financing for a portfolio of residential solar projects.
- Represented NRG Renew LLC, a division of NRG Energy, Inc., in connection with a tax equity financing for a portfolio of commercial and industrial solar projects.
- Represented the developer in connection with the sale of an 84 MW solar project in North Carolina.
- Represented the lender in connection with the holdco financing of a 625 MW gas-fired power project in Arizona.
- Represented the lenders in connection with the US$4.025 billion financing of Train Two of the US$12.5 billion Freeport LNG liquefaction and export project in Texas. The transaction was named “Americas Deal of the Year” for 2014 by Project Finance International.
- Represented the initial purchasers in connection with the Rule 144A/Regulation S issuance of US$1.25 billion of senior secured notes by FLNG Liquefaction 2, LLC.
- Represented I Squared Capital on the purchase of Duke Energy's Latin American businesses in Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Guatemala, El Salvador and Argentina for a US$1.2 billion enterprise value.
- Represented International Finance Corporation (IFC), Central American Bank For Economic Integration, Bancolombia, Banco General and Global Bank on the financing of the US$1 billion Colón LNG to Power Project in Panama, sponsored by The AES Corporation and Inversiones Bahía. The project is the largest combined–cycle power project (380 MW) and the first LNG import terminal to be built in Panama.
- Represented IFC and the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) in a US$212.5 million construction loan facility for the 100 MW Amanecer solar project in Chile.
- Represented the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and other multilateral institutions and commercial banks in their US$140 million project financing of Maple Energy's US$254 million ethanol production facility and associated 37 MW power plant and sugar plantation in Peru.
- Represented the IDB in its US$70 million investment in a total US$175 million securitization program over diversified payment rights (DPRs) arising primarily out of remittances to persons in El Salvador from family members abroad.
- Co-Editor, Energy Storage Updater
- "Financing EV Charging Infrastructure," Project Finance NewsWire, December 2019
- "Financing Distributed Batteries and Electric Vehicle Charging Stations," Project Finance NewsWire, October 2019
- "Energy Storage: Warranties, Insurance and O&M Issues", Project Finance NewsWire, June 2019
- "New Bills Aim to Regulate and Promote Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies", Financial Services: Regulation Tomorrow, December 2018
- "California CCA Outlook," Project Finance NewsWire, December 2018
- "Renewables 2018 Global Status Report," Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century (contributing author)
- "CCAs and Risk Management," Project Finance NewsWire, June 2018
- "Community Choice Aggregators and Community Solar," Project Finance NewsWire, April 2018
- "How Electric Vehicles are Transforming the Power Sector," Project Finance NewsWire, April 2018
- "The Engine that Drives Storage: Software," Project Finance NewsWire, April 2018
- Webinar: Energy Storage - Drivers and Pitfalls, March 2018
- "Energy Storage in Latin America and the Caribbean," Project Finance NewsWire, February 2018
- "Taking on Storage, Part One and Part Two," Renewable Energy World, January 2018"
- ERCOT: Shrinking Reserve Margin," Projects & Money 2018 (moderator), New Orleans, January 2018
- "Financing Projects with CCA Contracts," Community Choice Energy Summit (moderator), Santa Clara, CA, November 2017
- Webinar: The Effects of Community Choice Aggregation on the California Power Market, October, 2017
- "Southland Charges Up Battery Storage Financings," Project Finance News (Blog), September 2017
- "Southland: A Milestone in Financing Energy Storage," Energy Storage Updater, Sixth Edition, September 2017
- "Financing Energy Storage Projects: Assessing Risks: Part One and Part Two," Renewable Energy World, July 2017
- "Financing Projects with Community Choice Aggregators," Project Finance NewsWire, June 2017
- "Huge Potential New Demand for Power, says Chadbourne staff," Windpower Engineering & Development, October 2016
- "Huge Potential New Demand For Power: Part One and Part Two," Renewable Energy World, November 2016
- "Another Potential Offtaker: Community Choice Aggregators," Project Finance NewsWire, August 2016
- "Massachusetts Law Authorizes Energy Storage Mandate," Project Finance News (Blog), August 2016
- "Claims in a U.S. Patent application directed to an idea or concept," KQH Blog, July 2014
- "Senate to Consider Geothermal Leasing Measure," Project Finance News (Blog), July 2013
- "Peru to Start New Solar Program," Project Finance News (Blog), July 2013
- "European Union Imposes Anti-dumping Duties on Chinese Solar Imports," Project Finance News (Blog), June 2013
- Women of Renewable Industries and Sustainable Energy, Market Trends Update, November 2019
- Storage Week Plus, Executive Briefing, San Francisco, July 2019
- Energy Storage: Lessons Learned from US and International Markets, AE2C and The World Bank, Washington DC, April 2019
- Storage Week, San Francisco, February 2019
- Community Choice Energy Summit, San Francisco, November 2018
- AWEA Wind Energy Finance & Investment Conference, San Francisco, October 2018
- Energy Storage: Delivering the Potential, International Project Finance Association Webinar, June 2018
- Community Choice Aggregation Summit, La Jolla, April 2018
- Energy Storage Drivers and Pitfalls, Currents Podcast Episode 25, April 2018
- Storage Week, San Francisco, March 2018
- Projects & Money, New Orleans, January 2018
- Community Choice Aggregation Summit, Santa Clara, November 2017
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Registration (Patent Bar), 2013
- Research Fellow, Environmental and Social Safeguards Unit, Inter-American Development Bank, 2010–2013