Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Mina Matin has extensive experience representing international insurers, reinsurers and captive insurance companies in litigation and arbitrations, in particular in the US, Bermuda and UK. In light of her unique knowledge and practice of US, English and Bermuda law, Ms. Matin is ideally situated to handle Bermuda Form arbitrations. She has handled a number of Bermuda Form arbitrations in London and Bermuda in which she has acted in her capacity as both attorney as well as junior barrister to Queen’s Counsel.
Ms. Matin’s practice has included most classes of business, including general liability, environmental coverage, property, financial institutions, professional liability, products liability, directors’ and officers’ liability, errors and omissions, and finite reinsurance with a particular emphasis on Bermuda Form disputes. She has handled losses stemming from some of the highest profile insurance and reinsurance cases, including major pharmaceutical class actions, environmental disasters, toxic chemical pollution and worker’s compensation carve-out matters. She also advises clients on corporate insurance and reinsurance issues as well as advising insurers on upcoming policies related to FinTech products. Recently, Ms. Matin has been collaborating with the Bermudian government aiming to promote the FinTech industry, providing knowledge and experiences in establishing frameworks.
Ms. Matin has handled losses stemming from some of the highest profile reinsurance cases, including worker’s compensation carve-out, major pharmaceutical class actions and environmental disasters. She has represented clients before the UK Commercial Court, the Supreme Court of Bermuda, the Bermuda Court of Appeal and various US federal courts, and in arbitrations under the English Arbitration Act 1996, the UNCITRAL Model Law, the Bermuda International Conciliation and Arbitration Act 1993, the American Arbitration Association Rules, and the ARIAS US Rules.
Ms. Matin is dually qualified in the UK and is both a barrister and solicitor of England & Wales. She is also a barrister and attorney in Bermuda and is admitted to practice in New York and California.
Inns of Court School of Law, 1996
LLB, with Honors, University College London, 1995
Member of Lincoln's Inn (Called to the Bar in 1996 as a Hardwicke Scholar)
- California State Bar
- England and Wales Bar
- New York State Bar
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Advising insurers on upcoming policies related to FinTech products.
- Collaborating with the Bermudian government aiming to promote the FinTech industry, providing knowledge and experiences in establishing frameworks.
- Representing insurer in connection with a Bermuda Form dispute involving personal injury and property damage claims arising out of a toxic chemical/ pesticide.
- Representing several insurers in connection with a Bermuda Form dispute arising out of a major gas leak.
- Representing five insurers in connection with a Bermuda Form arbitration involving toxic chemical pollution in the U.S..
- Represented an insurer in connection with a Bermuda Form dispute involving personal injury and property damage claims resulting from exposure to a toxic chemical.
- Representing a captive insurer in connection with an arbitration involving claims by a major pharmaceutical company relating to a pharmaceutical drug (Bermuda arbitration).
- Bermuda Cablevision v Department of Telecommunications  SC (Bda) 1 Civ. and  SC (Bda) 13 Civ. (13 February 2009) and Department of Telecommunications v. Bermuda Cablevision  CA (Bda) 1 Civ.
- Munib Masri v. Consolidated Contractors International Company Ltd.  Bda L.R. 12.
- Phoenix Global and Phoenix Capital v. Citigroup and The Bank of Bermuda  Bda LR 61.
- Montpelier Reinsurance Ltd. v. Manufacturers Property & Casualty Ltd.  Bda LR 9.
- Starr Excess Liability Insurance Company Ltd. v. General Reinsurance Corp.  Bda LR 34.
- Sphere Drake Insurance Ltd. & Anr. v. Euro International Underwriting Ltd.  EWHC 1636 (Commercial Court) (8 July 2003).
- Chambers USA: New York, Insurance: Dispute Resolution: Insurer, Chambers and Partners, 2018-2019. Ms. Matin is highlighted for her strength in a range of insurance market disputes, with particular expertise in Bermuda Form matters. A source lauds: "I've never met a harder worker. She is extraordinarily organized, an excellent writer and very good analytically."
- Recognized practitioner, Chambers USA: New York, Insurance: Dispute Resolution: Insurer, Chambers and Partners, 2017
- "The impact of artificial intelligence upon liability and Bermuda Form insurance: Will robotic machinery rule?" Norton Rose Fulbright Legal Update, February 2018
- "The Bermuda Form Arbitration Process: A Glimpse Through the Insurers' Spectacles (Updated for 2017)," ARIAS US Conference Materials, November 2017
- "The good and the evil of permissive notices of occurrences under the XL-004 Bermuda Form Policy," Legal Update, October 2017 (Note - Law360 also published this article on Nov. 9, 2017.)
- "The Unknown of 'Known Losses," New York Law Journal, October 16, 2017
- "The Bermuda Form Arbitration Process: A Glimpse Through the Insurers' Spectacles," ABA Litigation Conference Materials, March 2017
- Speaker, "Navigating the InsurTech Revolution," Norton Rose Fulbright Seminar, Hamilton HM, Bermuda, September 20, 2018
- Panelist, "The Blockchain Capital Markets Transformation," Blockchain Futurist Conference, Toronto, Canada, August 16, 2018
- Moderator, "An audience with the Premier of Bermuda on the new ICO and Digital Asset legislation," New York, Norton Rose Fulbright, May 15, 2018
- Co-speaker, "How AI and machine learning are impacting the insurance industry," Artificial Intelligence and Insurance: A Glimpse of the Future, XLCatlin Bermuda, Bermuda, March 28, 2018
- "Artificial Intelligence and Insurance: A Glimpse of the Future," Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, Tucson, Arizona, February 2018
- "The Hazards of Permissive Occurrences under the XL-004 Bermuda Form Policy," XLCatlin Bermuda, Bermuda, September 20, 2017
- "Top Ten Tips for Success," Bermuda Young Lawyers Group of the Bermuda Bar Association, Hamilton, Bermuda, September 19, 2017
- "Hot Issues in Bermuda Form Arbitrations," ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Conference, Tucson, AZ, March 5, 2016
- "The Diesel Dupe – How will it impact Bermudian insurers under XL-004?," Fourth Annual Bermuda Insurance Institute’s Insurance Market Conference, XLCatlin Bermuda, October 9, 2015
- "The U.K. Insurance Act 2015: A seismic event in the development of English Insurance Law," Guest Speaker with Gavin Kealey Q.C., Endurance Bermuda, May 15, 2015
- "Conversations on International Arbitration and the Bermuda Form," Guest Speaker with Gavin Kealey Q.C., XLCatlin Bermuda, May 13, 2015
- "The Bermuda Form (Re)Visited," Co-presenter with Gavin Kealey Q.C., Chadbourne & Parke (London) LLP, February 18, 2015
- Guest speaker, "Demystifying Integrated Occurrences," MARSH New York (Webinar), March 12, 2014
- Guest speaker, "Demystifying Integrated Occurrences," AON, Philadelphia, PA, March 11, 2014
- "The Award of Pre-Hearing Security & Dispositive Motions – The Basic Elements of Arbitration," Program Organizer and Advocate representing cedent and reinsurer in a mock reinsurance arbitration, October 30, 2013
- Guest speaker, "Demystifying Integrated Occurrences," XL Bermuda’s Seminar Series to the Bermuda Insurance Market, October 2, 2013
- Moderator of an Ethics Session and Panel Speaker on Ethics Issues, "Emerging Risks & Products," ARIAS, May 8-10, 2013
- Guest Speaker, "Navigating the Bermuda Form Waters at XL Bermuda’s 25th Anniversary Seminar Series," XL Bermuda’s 25th Anniversary Seminar Series, October 2011
- Former Advisory counsel member, Women’s Forum
- Former Chair, APIW’s Events Sub-Committee, APIW
- Young International Arbitration Group
- ARIAS US
- Bermuda Bar Association
Publication | February 16, 2018
Publication | October 2017
Publication | October 27, 2017
Publication | October 16, 2017