Related services and key industries
- Business ethics and anti-corruption
- Cartels and antitrust investigations
- Compliance and integrity programmes
- Corporate and commercial disputes
- White-collar crime
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Due diligence
- Financial services and regulation
- Regulation and investigations
- Sanctions and export controls
Neil O’May is a litigation and dispute resolution lawyer based in London. He focuses on corporate, business and white collar crime, advising some of the world’s most prominent organisations and individuals on a series of high profile investigations.
He is experienced in defending prosecutions alleging bribery and corruption, international complex fraud and market abuse and regularly deals with domestic and multi-national financial and business crime investigations brought by a range of national and overseas agencies. In addition, he has extensive experience of representing clients in insider dealing and money laundering prosecutions and corporate manslaughter investigations.
Neil recently successfully defended, through to trial, a criminal prosecution brought by the SFO against Victor Dahdaleh. This was one of the largest prosecutions undertaken by the SFO in relation to bribery and corruption to date and followed a lengthy SFO investigation undertaken in cooperation with the US Department of Justice, the Australian Federal Police and several EU authorities. After five weeks of trial before a jury in the Crown Court, Mr Dahdaleh was acquitted on all counts.
Neil is recognised in the top tiers of a range of criminal law categories by the leading legal directories, in which he has been described him as “an extremely good solicitor” and a “heavy hitter” who is “vastly experienced” with "great judgement and qualities”.
Neil joined the practice in 2012, having been a partner and head of a specialist criminal law firm for over twenty years.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
Recent experience includes:
- Representing a former finance director at Tesco in relation to the ongoing SFO investigation into alleged accounting misstatements.
- Advising in connection with an SFO investigation into an alleged criminal cartel in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Representing an oil and gas company investigating allegations of bribery of public officials in the CIS, in relation to extraction licences.
- Advising a FTSE 100 corporate and its executives in connection with an SFO investigation into a business partner and responding to a s.2 Criminal Justice Act 1987 notice for documents.
- Acting in relation to the SFO investigation into the activities of Innospec when it self-reported and was prosecuted for bribery and corruption in Indonesia and elsewhere.
- Advising employees of a financial institution on investigations and proceedings regarding LIBOR and FOREX.
- Advising in relation to an Office of Fair Trading investigation into an alleged criminal cartel and alleged price-fixing.
- Extensive and varied experience in tax, money laundering and proceeds of crime related criminal investigations and prosecutions.
- Acting in an attempted extradition of an individual from the UK to the Ukraine in connection with the alleged BTA Bank fraud in Eastern Europe.
- Advising on criminal risk under the UK Bribery Act in relation to the acquisition of African operating companies by a UK listed corporate.
- Representing a multinational manufacturing company during corporate manslaughter investigations, coroner’s jury inquests and criminal prosecutions.
Publication | December 2018
Publication | September 2018
Publication | September 2018
Publication | February 2018