With lawyers in every major energy market across the world, we are one of the only firms in Australia that can support domestic and international organisations in the energy sector, including lenders, government and other market participants.
We offer a global energy powerhouse unmatched in scale and experience across the sector from power, renewables, oil & gas, and water to sustainability & climate change. Clients value having the option to use an integrated global team for cross border deals or domestic expertise in the Australian market to deliver effective legal solutions to complex issues arising across the key areas of risk to major energy companies.
In Australia, we advise many of the largest players in the energy sector with their transactional and operational work by integrating multi-disciplinary teams, including project and acquisition finance, mergers and acquisitions, construction, disputes, environment and safety lawyers to deliver innovative solutions in a challenging market.
Our areas of work include
- sustainability and climate change
- oil and gas
Awards & recognition
- Top tier Climate Change - Global-wide, Chambers Global 2017
- Top tier Projects & Energy: Oil & Gas - Global-wide, Chambers Global 2017
- Top tier Projects & Energy: Mining & Minerals - Global-wide, Chambers Global 2017
- Ranked in Energy & Natural Resources - Australia, Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017
- Ranked in Energy (Transactions and Regulatory) - Australia, Legal 500 2017
- Ranked in Projects - Australia, Legal 500 2017
- Ranked in Project Finance - Australia, Legal 500 2017
- Recognised in Climate Change, Energy, Oil & Gas and Water, Best Lawyers Australia 2017
‘"Brilliant" partner Simon Currie has impressed clients with his commercial and solutions-oriented approach to matters. He has extensive international experience across a broad spectrum of projects and transactions within the energy, resources and infrastructure sectors.’
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017
‘Norton Rose Fulbright is hailed for providing “workable, innovative ideas”’, and “idea generator” Simon Currie, the global head of energy, is “great in the renewables space”.’
Legal 500 - Energy (Transactions and Regulatory) - Australia 2017
‘Norton Rose Fulbright has strong infrastructure and energy and resources credentials, recently advising PNG government body Kumul Consolidated on the A$4bn Ramu 2 hydropower project. Jo Crew is singled out for her “reliability in commercial and financial matters”. Alen Pazin, James Morgan-Payler and Simon Currie are the other names to note.’
Legal 500 - Projects - Australia 2017
‘Norton Rose Fulbright fields “a strong team with excellent legal capabilities and negotiating skills”. Singled out for special praise is the “technically excellent” Jo Crew, who is “able to adapt as required to get the best outcome”. The team also has a strong track record in wind farm development financings.’
Legal 500 - Project Finance - Australia 2017