Our London employee benefits and executive compensation team comprises dedicated incentive lawyers with experience ranging from tax issues and securities law to corporate governance and best practice. Working closely with our lawyers in offices across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa and Central Asia, the team can deliver both domestic and cross-border advice on the full range of employee benefit and compensation matters.
We can advise you on implementing all types of share scheme and cash bonus arrangements, as well as supporting you during your corporate transactions. Multinational companies instruct us on the introduction of share schemes around the world, particularly those active in our key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare.
- Creative and commercial advice.
- Clear guidance on the corporate and shareholder aspects of employee share incentives, with particular awareness of the views of institutional investors.
- Tailored advice to the needs of each client: the schemes that we help you to introduce will be best suited to your objectives and culture.
- Assistance at all stages of the process, including tax-savings structures and post-implementation matters such as advising on reporting and other regulatory requirements.
Our areas of work include
- Establishing all types of employee share schemes and cash bonus arrangements.
- Advising on the effect of corporate transactions on compensation arrangements.
- Roll-out of global schemes by international companies.
Our recent work
- Advising our long-standing client Jupiter Fund Management, including through their MBO from Commerzbank in 2007, on their IPO in 2010 and most recently in 2014 on incentive matters and the transfer of executives in relation to the sale of their private client operations to Rathbones.
- Advising F&C Asset Management on a recommended £708 million cash acquisition by BiVIO Global Asset Management, which involved preparing employee communications and advising on the integration of F&C's incentive schemes into the wider BMO arrangements.
- Advising the recently renamed Intu Properties (formerly Capital Shopping Centres Group) on the introduction of a new performance share plan for its key executives.
- Advising Bermuda National on the incentives aspects of its £50m acquisition of JO Hambro Investment Management from Credit Suisse, which involved the establishment of an employee benefit trust and the implementation of a new incentive arrangement through which employees could acquire restricted shares.
- Advising UBM on the incentives aspects of the £160m disposal of certain of its data services business to Electra Private Equity Partners. The majority of our advice was focused on the post-completion operational mechanics in respect of departing employees' participation in UBM schemes.
- Advising Crest Nicholson on the incentives aspect of its £550m initial public offering on the main list of the London Stock Exchange, including assisting the company in exiting its existing share incentive arrangements and implementing a range of new tax-approved and unapproved plans.
- Advising CGI Group Inc. on the incentives aspects of its US$1.7bn acquisition of Logica PLC, which involved complex retention structures and an extensive employee communication exercise covering many different share plans and multiple jurisdictions.