Our experience in infrastructure, mining and minerals, and commodities covers every market, sector and region of the world. We have developed particular recognition for our work in the industry’s key emerging markets. Our global footprint spans Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
We are regularly at the forefront of some of the world’s largest project finance transactions. Our practice covers a multitude of disciplines, including corporate, M&A and securities; project finance; structured trade and commodity finance; dispute resolution and litigation; international arbitration; corporate responsibility; aboriginal law; real estate; construction and engineering; employment and labour; and intellectual property. We have advised on some of the largest and most innovative transactions in recent years, working across a variety of sectors, from agribusiness to water and waste
- a full suite of legal services to leading clients in these sectors
- award-winning experience in finance – with a deep understanding of acquisition finance, project finance, alternative finance and Shariah-compliant structures
- An integrated domestic and international team capable of delivering complex infrastructure projects
- world-class mining lawyers based in offices across all of the main mining markets
- emerging markets capability across a variety of projects in these sectors
- experience in the China-Africa mining and minerals axis, drawing on a 15-year track record in Africa and more than 30 years in China
- commodities lawyers with considerable emerging markets experience
- experience delivering desirable outcomes in complex litigation matters
Our areas of work include
For decades we have played an important role in delivering critical public infrastructure in the US and Norton Rose Fulbright’s reputation in the international infrastructure sector means we play a role in almost every major project around the world, including those involving significant development finance. We also have an outstanding reputation in the construction and engineering sector, and can advise on all aspects of infrastructure projects, including transportation, water and waste projects, telecommunications and mining infrastructure, and all aspects of social infrastructure.
Norton Rose Fulbright’s mining lawyers have many years of on-the-ground experience in resolving complex issues, as well as buying, selling, financing and developing projects in the key mining jurisdictions across the world. We are described by market commentators as ‘one of the top tier firms in mining’ having advised on some of the most significant and ground breaking mining deals in recent years.
For mining companies looking to the equity markets of the Toronto, London, Australian and New York exchanges, and the emerging exchanges in Hong Kong and Johannesburg, we have the local capabilities to offer a one-stop-shop for cross-jurisdictional securities issues and multinational listings. Through our offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong, we also have one of the leading practices targeting outbound Chinese mining finance.
As a leader in the global commodity finance industry, Norton Rose Fulbright advises clients involved in every stage of the commodities cycle, from production and financing to distribution. We work with financial institutions, commodity producers, traders and corporations. Our clients rely on our lawyers for in-depth knowledge of a variety of structured commodity products, including soft commodities, oil and gas, and metals.
Norton Rose Fulbright also represents the full spectrum of industry players, including companies involved in agribusiness and food production, processing and distribution (including seed makers); agrichemicals manufacturers; food producers; processors of agricultural commodities; manufacturers of precision farming equipment; alternative fuel producers; soft commodities traders; and financial institutions.
Awards and accolades
- Best Law Firms, national ranking for project finance law, US News & World Report and Best Lawyers, 2017
- Chambers Global, USA: Projects: Oil & Gas, Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Chambers Global, USA: Projects: LNG, Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Chambers Global, USA: Projects: PPP, Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Chambers Global, USA: Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy*, Chambers & Partners, 2017 (*Chambers & Partners ranked Chadbourne & Parke in this category prior to its combination with Norton Rose Fulbright)
- Chambers Global, USA: Projects, Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Chambers Global, Latin America-wide: Projects, Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Chambers Global, Global-wide, Projects & Energy, Chambers & Partners, 2017
- Chambers Global, Global-wide, Projects & Energy: Power, Chambers & Partners, 2017
- IFLR 1000, leading North American law firm for infrastructure and project finance, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, 2018
- International Legal Alliance Summit & Awards, silver award for project finance, infrastructure and energy, Leaders League, 2017
- Legal 500 Latin America, International Firms: Projects & Energy, The Legal 500, 2017
- Legal 500 US, Nationwide: Project Finance, The Legal 500, 2017
- Legal 500 US Awards, Team of the Year: Project Finance, The Legal 500, 2014, 2015