Infrastructure, mining and commodities
Our experience in infrastructure, mining and minerals, and commodities covers every market, sector and region of the world. We have developed particular recognition for our work in the industry’s key emerging markets. Our global footprint spans Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
We are regularly at the forefront of some of the world’s largest project finance transactions. Our practice covers a multitude of disciplines, including corporate, M&A and securities; project finance; structured trade and commodity finance; dispute resolution and litigation; international arbitration; corporate responsibility; aboriginal law; real estate; construction and engineering; employment and labour; and intellectual property. We have advised on some of the largest and most innovative transactions in recent years, working across a variety of sectors, from agribusiness to water and waste.
- award-winning experience in finance – with a deep understanding of acquisition finance, project finance, alternative finance and Shariah-compliant structures.
- a global PFI/PPP team with experience in the most complex infrastructure projects.
- world-class mining lawyers based in offices across all of the main mining markets.
- emerging markets capability across a variety of projects and sectors.
- experience in the China-Africa mining and minerals axis, drawing on a 15-year track record in Africa and more than 30 years in China.
- commodities lawyers with considerable emerging markets experience.
Our areas of work include
Our leading reputation in the international infrastructure sector means we play a role in almost every major project around the world, including projects involving significant development finance. We also have an outstanding reputation in the construction and engineering sector, and can advise on all aspects of infrastructure projects, including transportation, water and waste projects, telecommunications and mining infrastructure, and all aspects of social accommodation.
Our mining lawyers have many years of on-the-ground experience in resolving complex issues, as well as buying, selling, financing and developing projects in the key mining jurisdictions across the world. We are described by market commentators as ‘one of the top tier firms in mining’ having advised on some of the most significant and ground breaking mining deals in recent years. We are the only practice offering a global service to mining companies. For mining companies looking to the equity markets of the main Toronto, London, Australian and New York exchanges, and the emerging exchanges in Hong Kong and Johannesburg, we have the local capabilities needed to offer a one-stop-shop for cross-jurisdictional securities issues and multinational listings. Through our offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong we also have one of the leading practices targeting outbound Chinese mining finance.
Commodities and Agribusiness
Our leading position in the global commodity finance industry is well recognised by market commentators and the legal directories. We advise clients involved in every stage of the commodities cycle, from production and financing through to distribution. We act for a range of financial institutions, commodity producers, traders and corporates and our lawyers are renowned for their experience in a variety of structured commodity products, including soft commodities, oil and gas, and metals.
Awards and accolades
- Best USA Law Firm: Project Finance, Infrastructure and Energy, 2013, ILASA
- Global mining law firm of the year, 2013, 2012, Who’s Who Legal
- Global Trade Finance Law Firm of the Year, 2013, 2012, 2011, Trade Finance Magazine
- Legal Adviser of the Year, 2012, Africa Investor
- Leading Player (Legal Adviser) for Africa and Middle East, 2012, Global Infrastructure
- Infrastructure mining deal of the year, 2012, Project Finance International Awards
- Project Finance Deal of the Year, 2011, ALB