Ranked top tier in Commercial Property Development and Hotels and Leisure.
Legal 500 UK, 2017
"Major player in the property development space with a raft of expertise in residential and retail schemes. Draws on expert knowledge of energy and infrastructure matters to assist clients on high-value projects…. Represents a diverse client base including energy companies and financial institutions, as well as big-name developers and investors."
Chambers UK, 2016/2017
Our UK real estate team is involved in some of the largest and most innovative development and investment transactions and infrastructure projects in the UK. Our multidisciplinary practice brings together broad legal experience including banking and finance; corporate, M&A and securities; tax; dispute resolution and litigation; capital markets; and environment, safety and planning.
Our focus on key industry sectors allows us to provide a tailored service to clients working in the fields of financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare.
We act for clients on innovative and market-leading development, regeneration and property finance transactions (including Islamic Finance), and advise on joint venture, acquisition vehicle and leasing structures. We have a leading investment practice covering acquisitions, financing, management and disposals. We also act for major occupiers on their real estate requirements, including international corporates, institutions and government bodies.
Our UK team is an integral part of our global real estate practice, working on both domestic and cross-border real estate projects throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa and the Middle East.
- Strategic and commercial advice
- A client focused service
- Effective project management of all transactions, including cross-border deals.
Our areas of work include
- Asset management for investors and occupiers
- Equity and debt capital markets structures
- Finance (including Islamic Finance)
- Investment and development (including data centres, hotels and leisure, infrastructure, residential and mixed-use schemes, student accommodation and urban regeneration).
- Renewable energy.
Our recent work includes
- Advising London City Airport on its successful planning appeal for the expansion of terminal and airfield infrastructure through the City Airport Development programme.
- Advising a joint venture of institutional investors on the £296 million acquisition of the Olympia London Exhibition Centre.
- Advising Eco World Investment Co Ltd on a £2bn joint venture with Ballymore, and its financing, to bring forward three large scale London residential development opportunities, delivering close to 2,500 units of private residential apartments.
- Advising Commerz Real on the forward funding of the £2 billion Westfield London shopping centre and subsequent joint venture funding arrangements for a £600 million extension which will make Westfield London the largest shopping centre in Europe.
- Advising on the £1.35 billion financing and redevelopment of the iconic Battersea Power Station in London.
- Advising a private Asian investor on the acquisition of 7 and 8 St James’s Square, London for a combined total of £245.9 million.
- Advising DP World on the £1.5 billion development of London Gateway into the UK’s largest newly opened container port alongside Europe’s largest logistics park.
- Advising on the acquisition of the iconic Old War Office Building in Whitehall for redevelopment into one of the finest hotels in London and luxury apartments.
- Advising HB Reavis on the sale of 33 King William Street, London EC4 (“33 Central”) to major US bank Wells Fargo for its new European headquarters.
- Advising TH Real Estate on the €250 million sale of three shopping centre portfolio companies in Italy and Spain to a joint venture between TPG Capital and Partners Group.
- Advising a Malaysian client in relation to its acquisition of two prime multi-let London shopping centres at Fulham Broadway and Hammersmith Broadway for a combined cost of approximately £270m from Northern Irish investors.
- Advising Macquarie Capital Group Limited on its agreement to acquire a one-third interest in The Silvertown Partnership LLP, the developer of the Silvertown Quays site, a major mixed use development in London’s docklands.
- Advising ING Bank NV taking an agreement for the lease of its new corporate HQ building at 8-10 Moorgate, London.
- Advising Ivanhoé Cambridge Residential in relation to the joint venture financing and real estate aspects of investments of over £500 million in prime residential properties in Central London. Ivanhoé Cambridge is one of the 10 largest real estate companies in the world.
- Advising on over £15 billion Central London and prime regional investment transactions involving one or more international parties, including the sale of the iconic Lloyd’s insurance headquarters.
- Advising debut investors in Central London real estate from Canada, Asia, Malaysia, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa and Sweden.
Awards and accolades
- UK Real Estate Firm of the Year 2018 - Legal 500 UK