Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Alan Bainbridge is a corporate lawyer based in London.
Alan focuses on strategic M&A and corporate advisory for banks and other financial institutions and regularly advises on bank-specific legislation.
Prior to becoming a partner in 2007, Alan spent a number of years in our Hong Kong office. Alan was also previously a director of legal in Barclays' M&A legal team in London, where he advised the bank on a number of notable transactions.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Solicitor, qualified in Hong Kong
- Patrizia AG – on its acquisition of Whitehelm, the global infrastructure asset manager group, from shareholders including institutional investor Challenger Group
- DVB Bank – on the sale of its aviation finance division to Japan's Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group
- Piraeus Bank – on the sale of its Albanian bank, Tirana Bank, to Balfin; and on the sale of multiple non-performing exposure (NPE) portfolios to Davidson Kempner and others as part of the bank's NPE reduction programme
- SG Hambros Bank – on its acquisition of Kleinwort Benson Bank's business by way of Part VII FSMA banking business transfer
- Barclays Bank Plc – on the US$2.8bn sell-down of Barclays' 62 percent shareholding in JSE-listed Barclays Africa Group Limited, and on the related bank separation arrangements
- HSBC – the independent banking representative on the review and implementation of HSBC's structural reform proposals to comply with ICB's ring-fencing recommendations
- Barclays Bank Plc – on the sale of its French retail banking and wealth management business to ANA Cap Financial Partners
- Lloyds Bank Plc – on its £37bn reduction of capital in connection with its ring-fencing implementation; and on the restructuring of its non-core assets book, including several shipping and aviation loan portfolio disposals.
- Goldman Sachs – in its capacity as sole underwriter to African Bank's ZAR5.5bn rights offer.
- National Bank of Greece – on its circa €262m non-performing shipping loan portfolio to Cross Ocean Partners, the first such disposal under Greece' law 4354/2015 on non-performing loans.
The Legal 500 UK, 2019
"excellent in terms of commerciality, board room interaction and credibility".
- Co-author of the UK chapter, Global Legal Insights' Guide to Banking Regulation 2019
- Contributor, A Practitioner's Guide to Individual Conduct and Accountability in Financial Services Firms
- Co-author, the Banking Reform Act chapter of Thomson Reuters' Compliance Officer publication
- Previous articles featured in the Journal of International Banking and Financial Law and the Proprietary Trading Global Comparison.
- Impact of the FCA's new Consumer Duty on mortgage book deals in the UK — Financier Worldwide
- Global video series: Dealing with bank assets