Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
- Restrukturierung und Insolvenz
- Prozessführung und Konfliktlösung
- Securities litigation, regulation and enforcement
Aditya Badami is a litigation and disputes lawyer based in London. He focuses on insolvency, financial restructuring, and complex business litigation. He advises corporate entities, directors and officers, and insolvency professionals in matters across jurisdictions and industries.
Aditya previously practiced law at international law firms in Toronto and Calgary. He has also taught law at the University of Calgary, Faculty of Law.
Professional experience+Alle öffnen -Alle schließen
- J.D., University of Toronto, 2012
- B.A. (Hons.), McGill University, 2009
- Barrister and Solicitor, qualified in Ontario (Canada) 2013
- Barrister and Solicitor, qualified in Alberta (Canada) 2014
- A fintech - on a three week expedited trial involving claims of breach of contract, breach of confidence, and passing off.
- A global bank - on litigation arising from tax-advantaged film finance schemes.
- A global company - on a cross-border insolvency situation.
- A trade financier - with the appointment of an administrator on the basis of an assignment.
- A global bank - on the Wirecard AG insolvency and related matters.
- Ernst & Young, Alvarez & Marsal, and FTI Consulting Canada - on various CCAA restructurings and BIA receiverships, including the Reid Built, Twin Butte, LGX, and Regent proceedings:
- National Bank of Canada v Twin Butte Energy Ltd, 2017 ABQB 608
- Cansearch Resources Ltd v Regent Resources Ltd, 2017 ABQB 535
- Edmonton (City) v Alvarez & Marsal Canada Inc, 2019 ABCA 109
- Royal Bank of Canada v Reid-Built Homes Ltd, 2018 ABQB 124
- Canada (Attorney General) v Ernst & Young Inc, 2019 ABCA 180
- Regent Resources Ltd (Re), 2018 ABQB 669
- A company director facing a breach of fiduciary duty claim, for whom he appeared as counsel in defence
- PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc v Perpetual Energy Inc, 2020 ABQB 6
- Alberta Treasury Branches and National Bank of Canada with various receiverships, including the Northpoint, Kinwest, and Waldron proceedings
- Brookfield Asset Management with defending a lawsuit appealed to the Supreme Court of Canada
- McDonald v Brookfield Asset Management Inc., 2016 ABCA 375, leave to appeal to Supreme Court of Canada refused
- TELUS with various disputes
- TransAlta with various disputes and legal opinions
- The University of Calgary, appearing as counsel in defence of a mandatory injunction application
- Students' Association of the University of Calgary v University of Calgary, 2016 ABQB 550
- Shell Canada with various appellate proceedings related to significant energy projects before the Federal Court of Canada
- Various insurers with coverage opinions.
Aditya has been recognised in the 2022 Legal 500 rankings (Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail; and Tax Litigation and Investigations). Testimonials include the following:
- "Aditya Badami is exceptional in every way. He always acquires a total mastery of the facts and relevant law of a dispute, impressing clients and colleagues alike. His lateral thinking and shrewd strategic judgement make him a real force in a major piece of litigation."
- "Aditya Badami: very studious and hard-working, he can produce quality drafting in remarkably quick time."
- "Aditya Badami is enthusiastic and has a clear view as to the best course of action."
- "Aditya is a stunningly impressive solicitor, he works terrifyingly hard and produces breathtakingly well-analysed documents. If I could have him on every one of my cases I'd be delighted. Top quality."
- Canada's Tired Anti-Deprivation Rule: Capital Steel Inc v Chandos Construction Ltd, Annual Review of Insolvency Law, 2019
- The Priority of Municipal Tax Claims in Receiverships: Addressing a Vexing Issue for the Courts and Practitioners, Annual Review of Insolvency Law, 2018
- Civility: A Cornerstone Upholding Respect for the Administration of Justice and the Rule of Law, Annual Review of Civil Litigation, 2017
- What You Don't Say Binds You -- The Latest Chapter in the Ongoing Clash between the CCAA and the Alberta Energy Regulator, National Insolvency Review, 2016
- Just Restraint: R v NS, Volume XIX, No. 3, Charter and Human Rights Litigation, 2013
- The West Divided? A Snapshot of Human Rights and Transatlantic Relations at the United Nations, Human Rights Review, 2010
- Annual Review of Insolvency Law, panel speaker on municipal tax priority in insolvency (2018) and on anti-deprivation rule (2019)
- Canadian Bar Association, panel speaker on diversity in the legal profession
- Wordfest, panel moderator at 'Sane takes on an insane world'
- Sessional lecturer, University of Calgary, Faculty of Law (2016-2019)
- Canadian Bar Association (2014-2019)
- Member of council - Alberta Branch
- Past member of editorial committee (Law Matters)
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Law Society of Alberta
- WordFest, past member of the board of directors
- Summit Leaders, past member of the board of directors