WebinarGlobal | May 05, 2021
Welcome back to Norton Rose Fulbright's global antitrust and competition webinar series, Competitive edge, hosted by Global Head of Antitrust and Competition, Robin Adelstein.
In this Quick take, we will discuss the EU Commission's new merger control policy, giving it jurisdiction over transactions that do not trigger the EU Merger Regulation thresholds. The new policy is a major departure from the principles of legal certainty and one-stop-shop jurisdiction that have underpinned EU merger review since 1989. Other jurisdictions, including the US, can also review mergers below mandatory filing thresholds, but the Commission's mechanism creates particular challenges for transaction parties and counsel, whether or not their transactions are reviewed by the Commission.
Our European-based partners, Jay Modrall and Ian Giles, will discuss the implications of the new EU policy and similarities and differences with the UK's approach. Our US-based partners, Robin Adelstein and Amanda Wait, will discuss the US approach to merger review outside the mandatory HSR regime. Our team will tell you all you need to know about this important development in 30 minutes or less.
Robin Adelstein, Global Head of Antitrust and Competition, New York/Washington DC
Ian Giles, Head of Antitrust and Competition, Europe, Middle East, and Asia
Jay Modrall, Partner, Brussels/Milan
Amanda Wait, Partner, Washington DC
Previously in this series
Missed our previous Quick takes or full episodes of our Competitive edge webinar series? We've got you covered.
- Quick take, February 2021 | European Commission's review of EU rules on vertical agreements | View the on-demand recording.
- Quick take, December 2020 | Regional differences in the antitrust treatment of no-poach and wage fixing agreements | View the on-demand recording.
- Quick take, November 2020 | View the on-demand recording.
- Episode two, August 2020 | See a summary of the content and view the on-demand recording.
- Episode one, June 2020 | See a summary of the content and view the on-demand recording.