Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
- Litigation and disputes
- Intellectual property
- Life sciences and pharmaceuticals
- Trade secrets
Clemens Rübel is an intellectual property lawyer based in Munich. He focuses on patent infringement and (in-)validity actions before German national courts up to the Federal Supreme Court and the Unified Patent Court (UPC).
Clemens has advised for more than 20 years as lead counsel in a high number of cross-border patent infringement proceedings across a range of sectors, including: electrical engineering and telecommunications; medical devices; pharmaceuticals; biotechnology; mechanical and plant engineering; automotive; sports equipment.
His work involves taking complex technical cases, such as those related to SEPs or biotech, and making them presentable to courts. Clemens regularly works with our worldwide network of patent professionals and provides clients with customized enforcement strategies.
Clemens is very familiar with the particular requirements and preferences of the patent courts and UPC Local Chambers in Munich, Düsseldorf, Mannheim and Hamburg. He also conducts oppositions at the European Patent Office and the German Patent and Trademark Office.
Clemens' clients include leading international companies, as well as innovative medium-sized enterprises.
In addition to patent law, Clemens focuses on trade secret law, employee invention law, design law, competition law and license rights. His forensic experience proves beneficial in out-of-court activities such as freedom-to-operate opinions or when supporting our M&A teams in transactions.
Clemens regularly presents on topics such as UPC and Unitary Patent, SEPs and FRAND, preliminary injunctions, contributory patent infringement and utility models.
Before joining the firm in 2014, he was partner at a renowned European IP boutique for six years.
Clemens is recognized for his IP and Patent Litigation capabilities by leading directories.
Law – University of Regensburg (Germany); University of Trieste (Italy); and University of Edinburgh (UK).
Intellectual property as well as Litigation, Best Lawyers Germany, 2023
Patent star 2022, IP Stars 2022 Edition
Key individual: Trade marks: The Legal 500, 2021
Patent Litigation, Leaders League 2023
Patents, The Legal 500, 2023
- Covering the bases: Acts of use in German patent law, Patent World, December 2006/January 2007, p. 18-21
- Reaching out: Damages for endangering of patents?, Patent World, July/August 2006, p. 17-19
- Working together: How do Europe’s national systems cope with the European regulation on the detention of infringing goods?, co-author, WORLDfocus: Fighting IP Theft, May 2005, p. 52-56
- Why torpedoes have backfired, co-author, Managing Intellectual Property, July/August 2003
- Biotech risks of compulsory licensing, co-author, Managing Intellectual Property, March 2003, p. 47-49
- Designs can usher in trade marks, co-author, Managing Intellectual Property, October 2002, p. 23-24
- Patentschutz bei Reparatur- und Ersatzteilfällen, GRUR 2002, p. 561-566
- The limits of numerical patent claims, co-author, Managing Intellectual Property, Patent Yearbook 2002, p. 21-24
- Numerical data in patent claims clarified, Managing Intellectual Property, co-author, IP Litigation Yearbook 2002, p. 8-11.
Publication | November 08, 2023
Publication | November 07, 2023
Publication | November 07, 2023