Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Real estate
- Structured trade and commodity finance
Key industry sectors
Peter Weiland is a banking lawyer based in London. His practice covers the spectrum of banking transactions, with a particular focus on structured finance transactions and related restructurings and regulatory matters. He has represented a wide variety of investment and commercial banks, investment funds, trustees and corporates in respect of complex financing matters.
Peter has practised in London, Germany, China and Japan and has broad experience advising on matters involving overseas jurisdictions, including England, France, Germany, Italy, Turkey and the CIS. He has been seconded to clients on three occasions: the Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ, WestLB and another major international bank. From 2009 to 2010, Peter worked as legal counsel at a London based asset manager advising on credit portfolio management.
Peter is qualified as a Solicitor in England and Wales and as a Rechtsanwalt in Germany (Hamburg bar).
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- 2008 - M.Sc., Merit, School of Oriental and African Studies, London
- 1999 - L.P.C., Commendation, College of Law, London
- 1998 - Graduate Diploma in Law, College of Law, London
- 1996 - M.Sc., London School of Economics and Political Science
- 1995 - B.A., with honors, University College London
- England and Wales
- Advising International Finance Corporation, ICF Debt Pool LLP, FMO and Proparco (as lenders) on the financing of the construction and operation of waste management, fertilizer manufacturing, and electricity generation facilities located in Turkey, consisting of approximately US$130 million of debt financing and a US$20 million equity investment.
- Advising Türkiye Sınai Kalkınma Bankası (TSKB) as fronting bank on three CESCE insured facilities for €33 million in aggregate to finance three onshore windparks with an aggregate capacity of 42.8 MW in Turkey.
- Advising IFC on a €15 million loan to a Belarussian manufacturer of aluminium products.
- Advising IFC on a €15 million loan to a Belarussian company relating to a commercial real-estate project.
- Advising a US healthcare fund on a secured US$30 million term loan to a British bioscience company.
- Advising a major Turkish construction company on a US$150 million equity margin loan provided by a leading investment bank.
- Advising a Latin American lender on several sovereign debt repo transactions with major international banks as repo counterparty.
- Advising the IFC on a US$98 million loan facility to a Turkish leasing company.
- Advising a European real estate investment fund on the £25 million financing of a specialist development lender active in England.
- Advising a European real estate investment fund on the £20 million financing of a portfolio of mixed use properties in London and South East England.
- Advising a major English property management and investment firm on the restructuring of the financing in respect of certain portfolios included in CMBS securitisation transactions.
- Advising a Belgian property development company on refinancing for a portfolio of Belgian commercial real estate with a financing volume of €120 million.
- Advising various banks on the project financing of several on-shore windparks in Germany.
- Advised a major US insurance company and a family office on the issuance of €140 million of secured notes by a Swiss logistics company by way of US private placement.
- Advised a major German energy company on its investment in a €800 million project financing of an off-shore wind farm in the German North Sea, financed with EIB, EKF and KfW support.
- Acted for the borrower and the sponsors on the €1.4billion limited recourse project financing of an off-shore windfarm project in the North Sea, financed with EIB and KfW support.
- Advised German fund investors on the project financing of a number of solar power projects in France, Germany and Italy, each being financed under a KfW programme.
- Acted for the lenders and mandated lead arrangers on the €300 million PPP ("A-Model") project financing of a motorway extension in Germany, financed under the TEN-T programme of the EIB with a loan guarantee instrument to mitigate traffic risk (LGTT) and with KfW support.
- Acted for the sponsor on a €425 million project financing of a deep water port in North Germany.
- Advised a major US insurance company on a US$150 million shelf facility for the on-going issuance of guaranteed senior notes by a German corporate.
- Advised a major US insurance company on the US private placement of US$175 million senior unsecured notes issued by a German corporate.
- Advised a major US insurance company on the US private placement of €40 million guaranteed senior notes issued by a German manufacturer and guaranteed by Austrian, German, Hungarian and Swiss subsidiaries.
- Acted for the arranger of two CMBS transactions relating to assets in Ireland and the UK.
- Acted for the originator and arranger on the launch of a CLO.
- Acted for an investment fund in respect of the provision of a mezzanine level facility secured against a portfolio of aircrafts.
- Advising the arranger on a bridge to securitisation CMBS structure in respect of a portfolio of UK assets.
- Advised the originator and arranger on three major pan-European CMBS issuances relating to underlying assets in Germany, Bulgaria, The Netherlands and Italy.
- "Cross-border restructuring in emerging markets," Financier Worldwide, August 2016
- "Loan Agreements: Political Risk Default Trigger Needed?" Project Finance NewsWire, August 2016
- "Marketing Funds in the European Economic Area: A Patchwork of Regulation for Non-European Managers," Fund Formation and Investment Management NewsWire, Spring 2015
- "AIFMD in the United Kingdom," Private Funds Practice NewsWire, Spring 2014
Overcoming Gibbs: Restructuring of English law-governed liabilities in Europe
Publication | Q3 2022