Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Mike George is a dispute resolution lawyer based in our London office. He regularly advises London market and overseas insurers and reinsurers on high-value insurance and reinsurance disputes. His focus in recent years has been on advising clients on Professional Liability, Financial Institutions and Political Risk claims. His cases typically involve advice on complex coverage issues.
Mike is also experienced in advising clients involved in general commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings. He speaks Spanish and has considerable experience working on matters involving foreign jurisdictions.
- 2009 - College of Law, London, LPC
- 2006 - University of Liverpool, LLB
- England and Wales
- Instructed by insurers to represent a law firm in High Court proceedings on a £25m negligence claim brought against them by a professional footballer, following his initial conviction for a serious sexual offence and later acquittal. The claim centred on the law firm's alleged failure to adduce evidence at his first criminal trial and on appeal
- Instructed by insurers to represent a law firm on High Court proceedings brought against them by a high net worth individual over a divorce for the alleged failure to disclose information relating to trusts which resulted in the divorce settlement being set aside and a further significant payment
- Advising political risk insurers on coverage issues arising from a claim by a Japanese consortium under an all-risks policy following delays to the completion of an infrastructure project in North Africa
- Represented insurers in arbitration proceedings regarding interpretation of a professional liability policy following settlement by the law firm of a multi-million pound underlying claim
- Acted for an oil company in an arbitration relating to claims for breach of contract due to the expropriation of parts of the oil and gas industry in Venezuela
- Acted for an insured seeking to recover under a DSU policy over the construction of an oil pipeline in South America
- Acted for an oil company defending claims in the High Court brought by shipowners in respect of unpaid hire.
- "D&O insurers could be hit by ISDAfix scandal," Insurance Day, August 14, 2014
- Co-author, "The ISDAfix scandal: injured investors," International Financial Law Review, June 13, 2014