Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Hannah McAslan is a senior associate in the financial services group in London.
She advises on all aspects of compliance with relevant PRA and FCA in both a transactional and advisory context, and helps clients understand and implement financial services legislation from both an EU and UK perspective.
Hannah has advised several large financial institutions on strategic solutions for Brexit and regulatory implementation projects (including MiFID II, MAR and changes to the client assets regime). She has experience of drafting and negotiating a wide range of financial services agreements and has extensive transactional experience from both a UK and multi-jurisdictional perspective.
Recently much of Hannah's work has involved advising clients on the financial risks arising from climate change and she has also advised several global institutions on their implementation of the UK's Senior Managers & Certification Regime, the Second Shareholder Rights Directive and on major outsourcing projects.
She has been seconded to several financial institutions clients, as well as to a central bank since qualifying in 2013.
- History, London School of Economics and Political Science, 2008
- qualified in England & Wales
General financial services
- General compliance - advising clients on perimeter issues, compliance with the FCA Rules and implementation of European legislation, and giving training on various regulatory issues.
Senior Managers and Certification Regime
- Advising several large financial institutions on their implementation of SMCR.
Second Shareholder Rights Directive
- Leading the firm's work on SRD II, and advising several large UK and third-country clients in this area.
Outsourcing and operational resilience
- Working with several financial institutions to help them to understand the implication of the FCA and PRA's regulatory rules and expectations on service contracts.
- Advising an international bank on a complex merger transaction – this involved the full suite of regulatory advice, including conducting due diligence and preparing change in control applications.
- Advised several large hedge fund clients on investments in regulated financial institutions.
- Advised a large financial institution on its acquisition of a cross-border payment services business.
- Paxos (formerly itBit) - advising on the development of its gold clearing and settlement platform which supports payments and asset transfers utilising blockchain technology. The platform is designed to enable bullion market participants to transfer title to and perfect security interests in gold instantly through a process involving the digital tokenisation of gold bullion. The project has involved advising on key UK and EU legal and regulatory issues associated with the technology's functionality.
- Working with a number of key clients, including a multi-national UK-based credit institution and a French credit institution to understand the likely impact of Brexit on their ability to continue to provide services and perform activities in Europe / the UK post-Brexit.
- Regularly advising clients on cross-border issues.
- Custodians – reviewing, negotiating and amending custody agreements and settlement documentation and advising on custody and client money issues for both custodians and their clients.
Publication | January 29, 2021
Publication | December 14, 2020
Publication | November 11, 2020
Publication | August 07, 2020