We advise and represent parties at all stages of the arbitration process—from the negotiation of arbitration clauses, to the conduct of arbitration proceedings, to the enforcement or challenge of arbitration awards. We also appear before national courts in enforcement proceedings and other arbitration-related litigation (such as contested jurisdiction and interim measures).
Arbitration is a popular solution for international commercial and investment disputes because litigation in a foreign court can be expensive, complex and time-consuming. Arbitration also avoids the risk of a foreign court favouring the native party, and arbitration awards can be easier to enforce internationally.
Our International Arbitration team is widely regarded as the best in Canada with a valued international reputation. Our innovative thinking and wide-ranging experience have earned us the trust and confidence of businesses and governments in Canada and around the world.
Notable lawyers on our team include Pierre Bienvenu and Martin J. Valasek.
Team members also serve as arbitrators in international disputes. All members are proficient in both English and French, and often in a third language, and many are trained in both the common law and civil law systems. Our team practices before leading institutions such as the London Court of International Arbitration, the International Chamber of Commerce, the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes, the American Arbitration Association and the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
We offer you
- crafting of dispute resolution provisions, in particular arbitration agreements designed for cross-border transactions
- handling of large-scale arbitration proceedings for clients involved in all types of industries and all types of contractual arrangements
- advice and assistance in investment disputes where government measures affecting foreign investors are inconsistent with investment treaty provisions, including advice on interpreting multilateral and bilateral international investment agreements
advice on treaties and legislation dealing with international arbitration
- representation in ancillary relief proceedings, as well as proceedings for the recognition and enforcement, or setting aside, of arbitral awards
Rankings and accolades
- GAR 30, Global Arbitration Review 100, 2017