Clients doing business in emerging markets can expect a higher-than-average rate of return on their investment, but also face greater volatility and risk. We believe that to succeed in emerging markets, clients need the most senior and experienced lawyers by their side – lawyers who have strong local market knowledge and relationships, coupled with a commercial approach and an ability to react swiftly to often fast-moving developments.
"'Norton Rose has considerable depth and experience which enables the firm to service clients' needs quickly, efficiently and in a cost-effective manner,' enthuses one of the team's clients." Chambers Global, 2019
We have an established, award-winning team of senior lawyers with deep knowledge of emerging markets to meet these requirements for any type of emerging market mandate, contentious or non-contentious, and for all industry types.
With capability across a variety of project, sector and asset classes, our dedicated team of lawyers – many of whom have several decades of emerging markets experience behind them – has completed successful and innovative transactions and cases in Africa, Latin America and India, as well as the Middle East and Asia.
Our clients include domestic and international financial institutions, corporates, multi-lateral funding agencies and development finance institutions, resources and commodity houses, state-owned entities, and sovereign wealth funds.
In circumstances where we do not have an office on the ground, we draw on our long-established relationships with leading local law firms. In all cases, we offer clients the certainty of a consistent, cohesive approach, where local skills and experience are backed up by the highest professional standards and track record accrued from years of dealing with parties on all sides of a transaction or case. We act in an agile manner, anticipating possible issues before they occur and leveraging our experience to structure clients’ deals and cases in the most effective and time- and cost-efficient manner possible.
Our areas of work include
- Antitrust and competition
- Banking and finance
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Employment and labor
- Food and agribusiness
- Infrastructure, mining and commodities
- International arbitration
- Life sciences and healthcare
- Private equity and venture capital
- Real estate
- Risk advisory
- Technology and innovation
Awards and accolades
- Bonds, Loans & Sukuk Africa Awards: Project Finance Deal of the Year, GFC Media Group, 2019
- Bonds, Loans & Sukuk Africa Awards: Sovereign Debt Deal of the Year, GFC Media Group, 2019
- Project Finance International, African Program of the Year: Middle East and Africa, Thomson Reuters, 2019
- Ai Infrastructure Investment Awards: Legal Advisor of the Year, Africa Investor, 2018
- IFN Law Awards: Capital Markets Law Firm of the Year, Islamic Finance News, 2018
- IJGlobal Awards: European and African Law Firm of the Year, Euromoney Institutional Investor, 2018