Related services and key industries
Alan Bainbridge is a corporate lawyer based in London. He focuses on strategic M&A and corporate advisory for banks and other financial institutions.
Alan regularly advises on bank-specific legislation and is co-author of the UK chapter in Global Legal Insights' Guide to Banking Regulation 2019. Alan was also previously a member of Barclays' M&A legal team in London, where he advised the bank on a number of notable transactions.
Alan is qualified in both England and Hong Kong and spent a number of years in our Hong Kong office before becoming a partner.
Alan is ranked by Chambers, 2017 for Corporate / M&A and is described as "superb in the technicalities", providing "balanced, pragmatic views".
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Solicitor, qualified in Hong Kong
- DVB Bank – advised on the sale of its aviation finance division to Japan's Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group
- Piraeus Bank – advised on the sale of its Albanian bank, Tirana Bank, to Balfin
- SG Hambros Bank – advised on its acquisition of Kleinwort Benson Bank's business by way of Part VII FSMA banking business transfer
- Barclays Bank Plc – advised on the US$2.8bn sell-down of Barclays' 62 percent shareholding in JSE-listed Barclays Africa Group Limited, and on the related bank separation arrangements
- HSBC – advised the independent banking representative on the review and implementation of HSBC's structural reform proposals to comply with ICB's ring-fencing recommendations, as reflected in the Financial Services (Banking Reform) Act, 2013
- Barclays Bank Plc – advised on the sale of its French retail banking and wealth management business to ANA Cap Financial Partners
- Lloyds Bank Plc – advised on its £37bn reduction of capital in connection with its ring-fencing implementation
- Piraeus Bank – advised on the sale of its Egyptian banking business, by way of auction, to Kuwait's Al Ahli ban
- Goldman Sachs – advised in its capacity as sole underwriter to African Bank's ZAR5.5bn rights offer
- Absa Bank Limited – advised on its ZAR10bn acquisition of the private label store cards portfolio of Edcon Proprietary of South Africa
- Royal Dutch Shell Plc – advised on the acquisition of Morgan Stanley's European natural gas and power trading portfolio
- Lloyds Bank Plc – advised on restructuring its non-core assets book, including several shipping and aviation loan portfolio disposals.
- Co-author of the UK chapter, Global Legal Insights' Guide to Banking Regulation 2019
- Contributor, A Practitioner's Guide to Individual Conduct and Accountability in Financial Services Firms
- Co-author, the Banking Reform Act chapter of Thomson Reuters' Compliance Officer publication
- Previous articles featured in the Journal of International Banking and Financial Law and the Proprietary Trading Global Comparison.
May 08, 2019
March 07, 2019
Norton Rose Fulbright launches comparative guide on state of bank recovery and resolution laws in Africa
May 17, 2018
Publication | April 10, 2019
Webinar | March 21, 2019
Publication | December 2018
Publication | November 2018