Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Alan Bainbridge is a corporate lawyer based in London. He focuses on strategic M&A and corporate advisory for banks and other financial institutions.
Alan regularly advises on bank-specific legislation and is co-author of the UK chapter in Global Legal Insights' Guide to Banking Regulation 2019. Alan was also previously a member of Barclays' M&A legal team in London, where he advised the bank on a number of notable transactions.
Alan is qualified in both England and Hong Kong and spent a number of years in our Hong Kong office before becoming a partner.
Alan is ranked by Chambers, 2017 for Corporate / M&A and is described as "superb in the technicalities", providing "balanced, pragmatic views".
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Solicitor, qualified in Hong Kong
- DVB Bank – advised on the sale of its aviation finance division to Japan's Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group
- Piraeus Bank – advised on the sale of its Albanian bank, Tirana Bank, to Balfin
- SG Hambros Bank – advised on its acquisition of Kleinwort Benson Bank's business by way of Part VII FSMA banking business transfer
- Barclays Bank Plc – advised on the US$2.8bn sell-down of Barclays' 62 percent shareholding in JSE-listed Barclays Africa Group Limited, and on the related bank separation arrangements
- HSBC – advised the independent banking representative on the review and implementation of HSBC's structural reform proposals to comply with ICB's ring-fencing recommendations, as reflected in the Financial Services (Banking Reform) Act, 2013
- Barclays Bank Plc – advised on the sale of its French retail banking and wealth management business to ANA Cap Financial Partners
- Lloyds Bank Plc – advised on its £37bn reduction of capital in connection with its ring-fencing implementation
- Piraeus Bank – advised on the sale of its Egyptian banking business, by way of auction, to Kuwait's Al Ahli ban
- Goldman Sachs – advised in its capacity as sole underwriter to African Bank's ZAR5.5bn rights offer
- Absa Bank Limited – advised on its ZAR10bn acquisition of the private label store cards portfolio of Edcon Proprietary of South Africa
- Royal Dutch Shell Plc – advised on the acquisition of Morgan Stanley's European natural gas and power trading portfolio
- Lloyds Bank Plc – advised on restructuring its non-core assets book, including several shipping and aviation loan portfolio disposals.
- Co-author of the UK chapter, Global Legal Insights' Guide to Banking Regulation 2019
- Contributor, A Practitioner's Guide to Individual Conduct and Accountability in Financial Services Firms
- Co-author, the Banking Reform Act chapter of Thomson Reuters' Compliance Officer publication
- Previous articles featured in the Journal of International Banking and Financial Law and the Proprietary Trading Global Comparison.
June 19, 2019
May 08, 2019
March 07, 2019
Publication | June 26, 2019
Publication | June 10, 2019
Publication | April 10, 2019
Webinar | March 21, 2019