Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Katherine MacPhail practises corporate and commercial law, with a focus on corporate finance, securities, and mergers and acquisitions.
Ms. MacPhail joined us in 2016 as a summer student and completed her articles with us in 2018. Since that time she has had exposure to a number of large M&A transactions, public offerings, and private placements. Ms. MacPhail has also assisted clients with corporate governance, continuous disclosure, regulatory compliance, and general corporate matters.
While attending the University of Calgary Faculty of Law, Ms. MacPhail was engaged in various mooting competitions, including the McGillivray and Alberta Court of Appeal Moot competitions, and volunteered with Pro Bono Students Canada. Ms. MacPhail also spent a semester studying law at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands.
- J.D., University of Calgary, 2017
- B.A. (Hons.), Western University, 2014
- Alberta 2018
Clients for whom Ms. MacPhail has recently acted include the following:
- Tervita Corporation in its $2.3-billion business-combination transaction with Secure Energy Services
- The special committee of the board of directors of WestJet in connection with the sale of WestJet to Onex for approximately C$5 billion
- Public Sector Pension Investment Board in the strategic affiliation of its long-term timber investment, TimberWest Forest Corporation (co-owned with British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI)), with Island Timberlands Limited Partnership, a long-term timber investment of BCI and the Alberta Investment Management Corporation
- Tervita Corporation in its $490-million acquisition of Newalta Corporation, concurrent public listing of Tervita and $250-million high-yield notes refinancing
- Enerflex Ltd. in its US$735-million acquisition of Exterran Corporation
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Ones to Watch: Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2024
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Women in Capital Markets
- Creative Destruction Lab (Rockies) – Corporate Partner, Prime Stream
April 12, 2023
August 17, 2021
December 07, 2020