Norton Rose Fulbright (Asia) LLP
Related services and key industries
- Business ethics and anti-corruption
- Litigation and disputes
- Regulation and investigations
- Financial services and regulation
- Antitrust and competition
- Employment and labour
- Information governance, privacy and cybersecurity
Jeremy Lua is a dual-qualified dispute resolution lawyer based in Singapore, focusing on regulatory investigations and compliance.
He is experienced in a broad range of complex regulatory investigations and compliance matters, especially in relation to data protection, cybersecurity and technology.
Jeremy often assists clients in navigating data breach and cybersecurity incidents crisis situations, including leading the investigation, containment and remediation of such incidents so as to preserve customer relationships and mitigate risks of follow-on regulatory investigations and litigation. He also frequently represents and advises clients on cybersecurity, cybercrime and data breach investigations initiated by the Personal Data Protection Commission of Singapore (PDPC), Cyber Security Agency of Singapore (CSA) and the Singapore Police Force (SPF).
Jeremy's practice also includes managing and responding to complex investigations involving anti-bribery and corruption, anti-money laundering, sanctions, export controls and financial fraud and has advised on matters relating to the Singapore Prevention of Corruption Act, and the Singapore Corruption, Drug Trafficking and Other Serious Crimes (Confiscation of Benefits) Act, the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the UK Bribery Act and other regional anti-bribery laws. He also advises clients on data collection, digital forensics and eDiscovery issues that may arise out of such matters.
As part of his regulations and investigations practice, Jeremy has represented and advised clients on regulatory investigations before government agencies in Singapore and overseas, such as the Singapore Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB), the SPF, the Commercial Affairs Department (CAD) of the SPF, the Singapore Ministry of Manpower (MOM), the Attorney-General's Chambers of Singapore (AGC), the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and other multilateral organizations.
He also advises clients on regulatory compliance matters, including designing and implementing compliance programs, policies and procedures, and on regulatory risk management and mitigation and follow-on disputes. He also advises corporate organizations and senior management on business ethics, corporate liability and personal liability, labour / employment related issues as well as ESG issues such as modern slavery and business human rights due diligence, workplace health and safety, environmental regulatory disclosures and corporate governance.
Jeremy is recognised in 2022 and 2023 by Chambers & Partners as an "Associate to Watch" for Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption: International and The Legal 500 as a "Rising Star" for White-Collar Crime – Foreign Firms.
Prior to joining the firm, Jeremy was a Deputy Public Prosecutor at AGC, with a focus on technology crime. As a technology crime prosecutor, Jeremy prosecuted offences under the Singapore Computer Misuse Act.
Jeremy is a Co-Chairperson of the Law Society of Singapore's Cybersecurity & Data Protection Committee for 2023. He is also certified in Cyber Incident Planning and Response by the Cyber Management Alliance.
Law, National University of Singapore.
- Advocate & Solicitor (Supreme Court of Singapore, practising under section 36E of the Legal Profession Act)
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Chambers & Partners, "Associate to Watch", Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption: International
- The Legal 500, "Rising Star", White-Collar Crime – Foreign Firms.
- Anti-Corruption Regulation, Singapore – Getting the Deal Through, 2017-2020
- "Deferred prosecution agreements; Justice delayed or justice denied?" The Business Times, 6 February 2018
- This time it's personal: Senior management liability in “books and records” offences
- Speaker, Singapore Insurance Brokers Association's Senior Management Retreat 2017 in Taipei, Taiwan, AML Trends and Development and Senior Management Liability, July 2017.
Speaker, The Legal 500 GC Summit Indonesia 2019 in Jakarta, Indonesia, A team effort: how GCs and external counsel can work together to manage big-ticket disputes and investigations, November 2019.
Moderator, Law Society's Cybersecurity & Data Protection Conference 2022 in Singapore, An updated and informed look at the role of lawyers in navigating cyber incidents, and working with in-house counsel, and infosecurity teams, August 2022
- Co-Chairperson of the Law Society of Singapore's Cybersecurity & Data Protection Committee 2023
- Mandarin Chinese
Singapore releases Proposed Advisory Guidelines on Use of Personal Data in AI Recommendation and Decision Systems
Blog | August 30, 2023
Publication | August 11, 2023
European Commission and ASEAN releases Guide to ASEAN Model Contractual Clauses and EU Standard Contractual Clauses
Blog | June 29, 2023