The use of technology in insurance related transactions and processes, or InsurTech, is having a transformative effect on both the retail and commercial sectors of the insurance industry, making insurance law and regulation especially relevant in this rapidly changing market.
InsurTech start-ups have begun to disrupt the industry as they seek to make both incremental and revolutionary improvements to existing insurance processes. Established insurers are partnering with these firms via distribution and capacity partnerships to bring new products to market. Investment in such firms has also boomed.
With extensive experience in corporate law and regulatory insurance matters, our lawyers are well-positioned to advise clients on the regulatory and legal aspects related to these developments and transactions. We can also help clients analyse, manage and mitigate the associated legal and regulatory risks related to the deployment of InsurTech.
We also have particular experience in blockchain, smart contracts and distributed ledger technologies, which are now the subject of both proof of concept trials and live deployments by the industry.
As a testament to our experience, we are considered to be at the forefront of thought-leadership in the sector. Our lawyers are speakers at industry events, regularly publish legal and regulatory briefings and provide training to our clients on InsurTech-related matters.
Our areas of work include
- InsurTech M&A
- Start-ups and capital raising
- Distribution and capacity arrangements
- Distributed ledgers and blockchains
- Smart contracts
- Intellectual property, including trademarks
- Joint ventures and consortia
- Membership and digital media
- Regulatory and governance advice related to InsurTech
Awards and accolades
- Chambers Professional Advisers FinTech Guide, Global-wide: Legal, Chambers & Partners, 2019
- Legal 500 UK, London: FinTech, The Legal 500, 2018