Our Canadian lawyers, patent and trade-mark agents, and technical consultants provide comprehensive intellectual property advice across all sectors. Clients rely on our IP services for numerous reasons:
- Engineering and scientific disciplines – Many of our team members have backgrounds in engineering and science including aerospace, biomedical, chemical, civil, computer science, electrical, industrial, mechanical, metallurgy, material science, biochemistry, biomechanics, biotechnology, chemistry, endocrinology, food science, genetics, immunology, life sciences, microbiology, molecular/cellular biology, neuropsychology, neurophysiology, organic chemistry, optics, pharmacology, physics and physiology. Our significant legal and technical expertise allows us to provide unparalleled advice on even the most complex IP matters.
- Litigation experience – Our IP litigators are ranked among the best in Canada. We provide offensive and defensive litigation in all areas of intellectual property, including copyrights, industrial designs, Internet domain names, patents, plant breeders’ rights, trade-marks, trade-mark opposition, counterfeit enforcement, decision risk analysis, expungement, impeachment, validity and infringement opinions, and Internet issues. We have represented clients before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office as well as all levels of the Federal Courts, Provincial Courts and the Supreme Court of Canada. We also represent the interests of copyright owners and users in various contractual matters before the courts and in tariff matters before the Copyright Board.
- Transactional expertise – In business matters, we handle advertising and marketing, due diligence, IP audits and portfolio management and analysis, licensing and commercialization strategies, ownership of IP assets, packaging and labelling, technology transfer, and trade secret agreements.
- International team – We provide global, seamless advice and fully understand the role of intellectual property rights in the internationalization of businesses. Our offices throughout the world feature prominent lawyers who support our clients in the acquisition, protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights. Our unique global footprint gives our team a privileged perspective on the international deployment of intellectual property strategies.
Rankings and accolades
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2013): “Excellent lawyers with a lot of experience.”
- World Trademark Review 1000 (2013): Several practitioners recognized as experts in Enforcement & Litigation and Prosecution & Strategy. “Already clear is that it carries significant clout on the IP scene.” “It maintains a well-rounded practice and undertakes a large volume of both contentious and non-contentious work, capitalising on its international network to entice blue-chip global patrons.”
- IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners (2012)
- International Who’s Who of Life Sciences, International Who’s Who of Trademarks and International Who’s Who of Patents Lawyers (2012)
- Best Lawyers in Canada (2013): Several practitioners recognized for Intellectual Property Law
- Lexpert 500 (2013): Several practitioners recognized for Intellectual Property and Litigation - Intellectual Property
Select client work
- Patents – Pratt & Whitney, Bombardier, Bridgestone, Royal Bank of Canada, Bourse de Montréal, Visa, ABB/Alstom, Hydro-Québec, Shell, Nortel, Bose, Merck, F. Hoffman-La Roche, GlaxoSmithKline Rio Tinto Alcan, Lafarge, ArcelorMittal.
- Trade-marks – Bridgestone, Groupe Procycle, Louis Garneau, Royal Bank of Canada, Bourse de Montréal, Laurentian Bank of Canada, Desjardins, Gaz Metro, Petro-Canada, Groupe Vidéotron, Quebecor, SidLee, Aeroplan, Akzo Nobel, Gildan, Parasuco, Chanel, Hermes, L’Oreal, Biopharma Inc., Kefi Plant, Rio Tinto Alcan.
- Copyright – Air Canada, Volkswagen, Royal Bank of Canada, AXA, Lloyd’s, Premiere, Travelers, Bourse de Montreal, Telefilm Canada, Gaz Metro, Petro-Canada, Sid Lee, Quebecor, Telus, Copyright Collectives, Film and TV producers, Pfizer, Enobia, Epiderma, Imperial Tobacco, LexisNexis, Metro, Kraft Canada
- Litigation – Bell Helicopter Textron, Bombardier, The Bank of Nova Scotia, Royal Bank of Canada, National Bank, Enerconcept, Stinger Wellhead, Q’Max Solutions, Petro-Canada, Innovmetric, Raymark Xpert Business Systems, Pfizer, Merck, GlaxoSmithKline, C.R. Bard, Tembec, Domtar, Rio Tinto Alcan.
- Corporate/Commercial – Pratt & Whitney Canada, Bombardier Aerospace, The Bank of Nova Scotia, Royal Bank of Canada, National Bank, Enerconcept, Hydro-Québec, Pond Biofuels, SNC Lavalin, Revision Military, Immersice Design Studios, SQ Technologies, Enobia, Labopharm, Valeant, FPInnovations, Imperial Tobacco.
For general inquiries relating to intellectual property or to provide time-sensitive instructions, please contact us at IPcanada@nortonrosefulbright.com.