Our Canadian lawyers, patent and trade-mark agents, and technical consultants provide comprehensive intellectual property advice across all sectors. Clients rely on our IP services for numerous reasons:
- Engineering and scientific disciplines – Many of our team members have backgrounds in engineering and science including aerospace, biomedical, chemical, civil, computer science, electrical, industrial, mechanical, metallurgy, material science, biochemistry, biomechanics, biotechnology, chemistry, endocrinology, food science, genetics, immunology, life sciences, microbiology, molecular/cellular biology, neuropsychology, neurophysiology, organic chemistry, optics, pharmacology, physics and physiology. Our significant legal and technical expertise allows us to provide unparalleled advice on even the most complex IP matters.
- Litigation experience – Our IP litigators are ranked among the best in Canada. We provide offensive and defensive litigation in all areas of intellectual property, including copyrights, industrial designs, Internet domain names, patents, plant breeders’ rights, trade-marks, trade-mark opposition, counterfeit enforcement, decision risk analysis, expungement, impeachment, validity and infringement opinions, and Internet issues. We have represented clients before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office as well as all levels of the Federal Courts, Provincial Courts and the Supreme Court of Canada. We also represent the interests of copyright owners and users in various contractual matters before the courts and in tariff matters before the Copyright Board.
- Transactional expertise – In business matters, we handle advertising and marketing, due diligence, IP audits and portfolio management and analysis, licensing and commercialization strategies, ownership of IP assets, packaging and labelling, technology transfer, and trade secret agreements.
- International team – We provide global, seamless advice and fully understand the role of intellectual property rights in the internationalization of businesses. Our offices throughout the world feature prominent lawyers who support our clients in the acquisition, protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights. Our unique global footprint gives our team a privileged perspective on the international deployment of intellectual property strategies.
Rankings and accolades
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Intellectual Property (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Global, Canada: Intellectual Property, Chambers and Partners, 2017
- Legal 500, Canada: Intellectual Property, Legal 500, 2017
- LMG Life Sciences Awards: Canadian IP Impact Case of the year, LMG Life Sciences Awards, 2017
- IAM Patent 1000, Canada: Litigation and Transactions (Gold Band), IAM Patent 1000, 2017
- IAM Patent 1000, Canada: Patent Prosecutions, IAM Patent 1000, 2017
- IP Stars, Canada: Patent Contentious, Managing Intellectual Property, 2017
- IP Stars, Canada: Copyright, Managing Intellectual Property, 2017
- IP Stars, Canada: Patent Filing and Prosecution, Managing Intellectual Property, 2017
- IP Stars, Canada: Trademark Contentious, Managing Intellectual Property, 2017
- IP Stars, Canada: Trademark Filing and Prosecution, Managing Intellectual Property, 2017
- WTR 1000, Canada: World Trademark Review, 2017
- WTR 1000, Canada: Anti-counterfeiting, World Trademark Review, 2017
Select client work
- Patents – Pratt & Whitney, Bombardier, Bridgestone, Royal Bank of Canada, Bourse de Montréal, Visa, ABB/Alstom, Hydro-Québec, Shell, Nortel, Bose, Merck, F. Hoffman-La Roche, GlaxoSmithKline Rio Tinto Alcan, Lafarge, ArcelorMittal.
- Trade-marks – Bridgestone, Groupe Procycle, Louis Garneau, Royal Bank of Canada, Bourse de Montréal, Laurentian Bank of Canada, Desjardins, Gaz Metro, Petro-Canada, Groupe Vidéotron, Quebecor, SidLee, Aeroplan, Akzo Nobel, Gildan, Parasuco, Chanel, Hermes, L’Oreal, Biopharma Inc., Kefi Plant, Rio Tinto Alcan.
- Copyright – Air Canada, Volkswagen, Royal Bank of Canada, AXA, Lloyd’s, Premiere, Travelers, Bourse de Montreal, Telefilm Canada, Gaz Metro, Petro-Canada, Sid Lee, Quebecor, Telus, Copyright Collectives, Film and TV producers, Pfizer, Enobia, Epiderma, Imperial Tobacco, LexisNexis, Metro, Kraft Canada
- Litigation – Bell Helicopter Textron, Bombardier, The Bank of Nova Scotia, Royal Bank of Canada, National Bank, Enerconcept, Stinger Wellhead, Q’Max Solutions, Petro-Canada, Innovmetric, Raymark Xpert Business Systems, Pfizer, Merck, GlaxoSmithKline, C.R. Bard, Tembec, Domtar, Rio Tinto Alcan.
- Corporate/Commercial – Pratt & Whitney Canada, Bombardier Aerospace, The Bank of Nova Scotia, Royal Bank of Canada, National Bank, Enerconcept, Hydro-Québec, Pond Biofuels, SNC Lavalin, Revision Military, Immersice Design Studios, SQ Technologies, Enobia, Labopharm, Valeant, FPInnovations, Imperial Tobacco.
For general inquiries relating to intellectual property or to provide time-sensitive instructions, please contact us at IPcanada@nortonrosefulbright.com.