Class actions can transform the most mundane dispute into a claim with potentially multi-million dollar exposure. Our class actions team in Canada handles complex and multi-jurisdictional class actions in a wide array of areas including competition, employment, environmental, pension, product liability, product recall, professional liability, banking and securities.
Best Lawyers in Canada "Law Firm of the Year” in the area of Class Action Litigation (2016)
With experienced litigators in each of our five Canadian offices, we have successfully defended class actions throughout Canada by ensuring:
- A strategic national approach – Companies facing multi-provincial class actions can rely on our seamless, one-team approach across Canada. Whether circumstances call for a negotiated settlement early in the proceeding or a vigorous defence through to trial, our litigators understand and advise on the substantive and procedural differences between provinces and are at the forefront of class action practices.
- Efficient, prompt and expert service – Our team has handled multiple class actions in many different legal areas. We leverage our extensive procedural knowledge of the various class action regimes to provide efficient and cost-effective advice and representation to clients facing class action litigation. We understand class actions and can quickly develop a strategy both substantively and procedurally to respond.
- A multi-disciplinary approach – Our litigators work closely with colleagues in other legal service areas including in the banking, competition, corporate finance, corporate, employment, intellectual property, franchise and pensions area, and as part of our global headlights. As a full service firm focussed on industry sectors, we bring not only our strategic litigation skills to the defence of these claims, but incorporate specific industry and substantive expertise.
- We take advantage of our cross-border and global experience – Our lawyers have acted on numerous cross-border class actions and have worked closely with internal and external defence counsel in formulating and pursuing a coordinated global defence strategy. Our class actions expertise in Canada is supplemented by strong class action and collective redress experience at a global level. We understand these claims often have a global perspective, and are able to seamlessly work as a team with established advisors around the world or with our lawyers in the many jurisdictions in which we operate.
Rankings and accolades
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Litigation Firm of the Year, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defence), Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Global, Canada: Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defence), Chambers and Partners, 2017
Select client work
We have acted as counsel in proposed primary and secondary market securities class action in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia in relation to claims arising from restatements to financial results and alleged misrepresentations in core and other documents.
We have acted as counsel in class actions throughout Canada relating to consumer and pharmaceutical products, and have successfully defeated certification in both Ontario and Quebec in relation to claims pertaining to consumer and pharmaceutical products. We have acted as local counsel and as national coordinating counsel in relation to these matters.
We have acted as counsel in class actions throughout Canada in relation to consumer protection claims, including claims relating to loyalty programs, interest rates, phone charges, environmental charges, levies and credit cards fees.
We have acted as counsel in multiple class actions in British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec based on alleged price-fixing conspiracies , including appearing at the Supreme Court of Canada in a matter involving the validity at law of claims by “indirect purchasers.”
We have acted as counsel in class actions relating to alleged environmental contamination, flood and storm damage and the alleged environmental impact arising from our client’s facilities.
A list of select client work is available upon request.