Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Acquisition finance and corporate lending
- Asset-based lending
- Asset finance
- Banking and finance
- Private equity and venture capital
Arnold Cohen’s practice includes financing and insolvency and restructuring. His financing practice focuses on asset-based lending (both Canadian and cross-border transactions), in which he represents leading US and Canadian asset-based lenders and factors. Mr. Cohen also regularly represents lenders and corporate borrowers in the financing of real estate, receivables and equipment, as well as acquisition, project, structured and traditional bank financings, all on both a syndicated and a non-syndicated basis.
His restructuring practice involves representing secured lenders, trustees, receivers and corporate clients in all aspects of the insolvency and restructuring process, including reorganizations, acquisitions, turnarounds and enforcement of security and other creditors’ rights. He has appeared before various courts in these matters.
Mr. Cohen is co-chair of our asset-based lending team.
- Quebec 1993
Mr. Cohen acted recently in the following transactions:
- US$400 million financing of Sally Holdings LLC and its subsidiaries (including Beauty Systems Group (Canada), Inc.) (counsel to Bank of America, N.A.)
- C$220 million Canadian financing of Kohl & Frisch Limited (counsel to Bank of America, N.A., acting through its Canada branch)
- Refinancing by way of a US$50 million US facility and a C$25 million Canadian facility extended to Tri-Ed Distribution (counsel to Bank of America, N.A.)
- Exit financing by way of a US$230 million US facility and a C$20 million Canadian facility extended to Nortek, Inc. and its affiliates (counsel to Bank of America, N.A.)
- C$70 million restatement of the financing of Olco Petroleum Group Inc. by CIT Business Credit Canada Inc., as agent
- US$650 million refinancing of Gerdau Ameristeel Corporation and its US and Canadian subsidiaries (counsel to Bank of America, N.A., as administrative agent, collateral agent and lender)
- US$380 million amendment and restatement of facilities of Brown Shoe Company, Inc. (counsel to administrative and collateral agent)
- C$115 million senior credit facilities in favour of Softchoice Corporation (counsel to lender and agent)
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Structured Finance Law, 2006-2024; Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law, 2011-2022; Equipment Finance Law, 2009-2024; Asset-Based Lending Practice, Banking and Finance Law, 2018-2024
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Banking and Finance, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2024
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2023: recommended in Asset-Based Lending
- Chambers Global, Canada: Banking and Finance, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Asset-Based Lending Practice "Lawyer of the Year," 2024
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Asset-based lending practice "Lawyer of the Year," 2021
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Equipment Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2015
- Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, 2012-2015
- “The Characteristics of a Credit Agreement in Asset-Based Lending,” Commercial Loans Conference, The Canadian Institute, Montreal, June 13-14, 2011.
- “Syndicated Loans,” Advanced Finance and Security Conference, The Canadian Institute, Montreal, January 27-28, 2010.
- “La diversité du marché du financement non-traditionnel : nouveaux joueurs, types de financement, conditions exigées et facteurs de succès” (moderator), 6th Annual Advanced Finance and Security Conference, The Canadian Institute, Montreal, January 28-30, 2009.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Chair, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Section, (Quebec Branch)
- Turnaround Management Association
Top honours at the Canadian Law Awards: Our Canadian team is recognized in M&A, Restructuring & Insolvency, and Technology
May 12, 2023
September 29, 2022
August 25, 2022
Blog | May 25, 2022
JPMorgan and an ad hoc group of noteholders and lenders close debt refinancing transactions for Diebold Nixdorf
March 09, 2023
November 24, 2022
August 09, 2022
July 20, 2022