Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Mr. Fitzgerald is a leading practitioner in the areas of mergers and acquisitions and securities law with significant experience in a wide range of transactions, including public offerings, private placements, negotiated transactions, hostile take-over bids, shareholder activism and complex corporate reorganizations. Mr. Fitzgerald has extensive experience with large, multijurisdictional transactions and provides advice to boards of directors and their committees, often in the context of transformative events. Mr. Fitzgerald also provides advice to public companies on their disclosure, corporate governance and other corporate and securities law obligations.
Mr. Fitzgerald is co-chair of our corporate finance and securities team.
LL.B., University of Windsor, 1996
B.Sc., University of Waterloo, 1991
- Ontario 1998
Mr. Fitzgerald has recently acted for the following clients:
- Icahn Enterprises L.P. in its US$340 million acquisition of the US automotive aftermarket product distribution business of TSX-listed Uni-Select Inc.
- The special committee of KEYreit in its successful hostile takeover defence against Huntingdon Capital Corp.
- GMP Securities in connection with the going-public transaction and subsequent financing for Concordia Healthcare Corp.
- Barrick Gold Corporation in its $7.3-billion offer for Equinox Minerals Limited
- CHC Helicopter Corporation in its $3.7-billion acquisition by an affiliate of a fund managed by First Reserve Corporation
- Petrochemical Industries Company (Kuwait) in connection with its joint venture with The Dow Chemical Company for the manufacture and sale of monoethylene glycol and diethylene glycol (EG)
- Diageo plc with its acquisition of the Seagram spirits and wine business
- The special committee of the board of directors of Shell Canada Limited with the acquisition by Royal Dutch Shell plc of the minority interest in Shell Canada
- KFS Capital LLC and Kingsway Financial Services Inc. in connection with a partial take-over bid for 1,500,000 units of Kingsway Linked Return of Capital Trust at a price per unit of $20 in cash
- Kingsway Financial Services Inc. in connection with a definitive purchase agreement to sell all of the issued and outstanding shares of Jevco Insurance Company to The Westaim Corporation
- Acritas Stars 2020 -- Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Capital markets - debt and equity; Mergers and acquisitions, 2021
- The Legal 500 Canada, 2016: Capital Markets (Canada)
- 2018 Lexpert ranked lawyer
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Securities law, 2021
- Canadian Bar Association
Publication | April 9, 2020 - 7 PM ET
Publication | March 13, 2020
Publication | 2019