Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Jeremy Devereux acts as an advocate and negotiator in a wide range of complex commercial and regulatory matters. His experience includes securities and financial services disputes, regulatory investigations and prosecutions, corporate and commercial litigation, class actions, employment law, estates litigation, mining law and administrative law. He has appeared as counsel before the Ontario courts, the Federal Court of Canada, and numerous tribunals and arbitration panels.
Mr. Devereux frequently advises and represents participants in the financial markets, including investment dealers, mutual fund managers, mutual fund dealers, portfolio managers and their employees, in matters involving the Ontario Securities Commission, other provincial securities commissions, the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada, the Mutual Fund Dealers Association, arbitrators and the courts.
LL.B., University of Toronto, 1992
B.A., University of Toronto, 1989
- Ontario 1994
Mr. Devereux has acted recently in the following matters:
- Overtime Class Actions - Counsel in two of the three national overtime class actions brought against employers regulated by the Canada Labour Code (Fulawka v The Bank of Nova Scotia and McCracken v Canadian National Railway)
- Lawrence v Atlas Cold Storage Holdings Inc. - Counsel to BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. in a proposed securities class action. Successfully moved to have the majority of the claim against BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. struck. The balance of the claim against BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. was then dismissed without costs
- Hurst v Armstrong & Quaile Associates Inc. - Counsel to a mutual fund dealer defendant in one of several proposed class actions relating to investments in Portus Alternative Asset Management Inc. The defendants successfully moved to have the majority of the action against them struck. The action was then discontinued
- YBM Magnex - Counsel to Scotia Capital Inc. in a large securities class action relating to investments in YBM Magnex
- Mutual Fund Market Timing - Counsel to RBC Dominion Securities Inc. in a proposed class action relating to alleged market timing trading of mutual funds by clients of investment dealers
- Price Fixing Class Actions - Counsel to defendants in a number of price-fixing class actions
- Mutual Fund Market Timing - Counsel to RBC Dominion Securities Inc. before the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada in proceedings relating to alleged mutual fund market timing by clients of investment dealers
- Radonicich v Rushton. - Successfully moved to have action against the Ontario Securities Commission dismissed on the basis of statutory immunity
- Shinoff v BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. - Successfully moved to have brokers’ negligence action stayed for having been commenced in the wrong forum
- BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. v Wellington West Capital Inc. - On behalf of BMO Nesbitt Burns, successfully moved to have large portions of the defences struck. Decision being upheld by the Ontario Court of Appeal
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Litigation- Corporate Commercial; Litigation - Securities
- Chambers Canada, Ontario: Litigation - Securities, Chambers and Partners, 2020-2021
- Acritas Stars 2020 -- Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Benchmark Canada (2013 and 2017): recognized as a local litigation star in Ontario; Litigation star in Canada in Arbitration (Class Actions and Securities)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2015-2016): recommended in Class Action
- Client Choice, USA & Canada (2014): Individual Winner for Litigation, Toronto
- Arbor Award in 1999, from University of Toronto (recognition of volunteer work)
- “A Primer on Class Actions in Canada,” client presentation, September 30, 2010.
- “Staying out of Trouble” (advice for investment advisors regarding current regulatory and litigation risk), client presentation, June 2 and 24, 2010.
- “Product Due Diligence: The Advisor’s Role and Responsibilities,” Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) webcast, April 22, 2010.
- “Product Due Diligence” (speaker and panelist), Going for Gold in Securities Industry Compliance and Operational Practices, Investment Industry Association of Canada, February 25, 2010.
- “The Client Relationship Model (CRM)” (speaker and panelist), IIROC Compliance and Legal Section National Conference, December 1, 2009.
- “Procedures for New Products,” Investment Industry Association of Canada Annual Dealers Committee, September 23, 2009.
- Insider Trading client presentations, July and August 2009.
- “Conducting Internal Investigations,” client presentation, June 12, 2009.
- “Registration Reform” (speaker and panelist), 2009 National Society of Compliance Professionals Canadian Membership Meeting, June 8, 2009.
- “Product Due Diligence” (speaker and panelist), IIROC Compliance and Legal Section Breakfast Seminar, June 11, 2009.
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- The Advocates’ Society
- Ontario Bar Association