Frédéric Desmarais, CHRP
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Frédéric Desmarais, CHRPvCard
Frédéric Desmarais practises all aspects of employment and labour law, with a focus on matters and litigation concerning civil employment law, such as duty of loyalty and restrictive covenants. He is also knowledgeable in federal labour and employment law.
Mr. Desmarais provides federal and provincial jurisdiction employers with strategic advice on how best to manage their workforces. He acts on behalf of employers before the appropriate authorities, including administrative tribunals and common law courts, including the Quebec Court of Appeal, as well as grievance arbitrators.
Mr. Desmarais is a speaker and author whose many writings include Le contrat de travail (Art. 2085 à 2097 C.c.Q.), published by Éditions Yvon Blais. He also teaches employment and labour law at the Quebec Bar Admission Course. Mr. Desmarais serves as a member of the Disciplinary Council of the Quebec bar.
- LL.B./B.C.L., McGill University, 2008
- B.A., Université de Montréal, 2004
- Québec 2009
Select client work
Frédéric Desmarais acts on behalf of a broad range of clients active in a number of industry sectors, including retail, the aerospace, banking and financial sectors, and the development of large tourist real estate projects.
Most notably, he represented an air carrier in an unjust dismissal complaint filed under section 240 of the Canada Labour Code that involved a 15-day hearing.
He has also pleaded the side of a large telecommunications company in a number of unjust dismissal grievances.
- Finalist in the labour and administrative law category, "Tomorrow's Leaders," Young Bar of Montreal (YBM), 2019
- Recipient of the Exemplum Uistita award, 2016
- Presented by the Jeune Barreau de Laval (Young bar of Laval) to a lawyer with less than 10 years' experience who has served as a role model to his peers (Exemplum) and has actively contributed to the advancement of justice (Uistita)
- "Quand la clause de jardinage tombe dans le terrier du lapin civiliste : Alice est-elle au pays des merveilles ? Histoire d'une clause possiblement restrictive," (co-speaker), Quebec bar conference on recent developments in labour law, Montreal, April 24, 2020.
- "Quelles sont les décisions marquantes et incontournables en 2019 ? Développements récents en droit du travail et de l'emploi," Regroupement des gestionnaires en ressources humaines de Laval, Laval, QC, December 11, 2019.
- "L'art de rédiger des clauses restrictives à la lumière de la jurisprudence récente," Hôtel Intercontinental, Yvon Blais, Montreal, November 6, 2019.
- "How to Write and Present an "Expert" Expert Report at Trial" (co-speaker), Canadian Psychiatric Association, Toronto, September 29, 2018.
- "Maîtrisez l'encadrement juridique de l'embauche : le point de départ d'une relation d'emploi réussie," Intercontinental Hotel, Yvon Blais, Montreal, March 20, 2018.
- "La légalisation du cannabis et le milieu du travail : agitons-nous inutilement l'épouvantail?" Regroupement des gestionnaires en ressources humaines de Laval, Laval, QC, September 20, 2017.
- "How to be an 'Expert' Expert Witness," (co-speaker), Canadian Psychiatric Association, Ottawa, September 14, 2017.
- "Les ententes de dernière chance : enseignements, astuces et pièges à éviter," Yvon Blais training seminar, Montreal, May 10, 2017.
- "Les clauses restrictives dans les contrats de travail à l'ère des nouvelles technologies," Yvon Blais training seminar, Montreal, October 3, 2016.
- "Rupture ou survie du contrat individuel de travail dans un contexte de mise à pied : un conflit irrésoluble entre impératif économique et cohérence juridique?" Quebec bar conference on recent developments in labour law, Montreal, April 15, 2016.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Young Bar Association of Montreal
- Regroupement des gestionnaires en ressources humaines de Laval (2017 – 2019)
- GUEPE – Groupe uni des éducateurs-naturalistes et professionnels en environnement (2016 – present)