Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Building on her experience and knowledge from years spent in corporate development and legal roles within industry, Janet Grove helps clients in the technology and health sciences sectors – IT, health sciences, telecommunications and clean-tech. She is sought out for her expertise and business approach to structuring and negotiating both merger and acquisition transactions and complex commercial relationships to develop, commercialize and acquire technology. This includes assisting with a variety of research and development, supply and licensing arrangements and developing and advising on novel programs and collaborations involving technology.
Ms. Grove's client base includes a wide range of organizations from early-stage technology and biotechnology clients, to large public and private companies, educational institutions, healthcare authorities, hospitals and research institutions throughout Canada.
Ms. Grove has advised on some of BC's most significant technology transactions and brings a depth of understanding to complex transactions that clients find invaluable. Having worked for eight years in-house at a global biopharmaceutical company then listed on the TSX and NASDAQ, she also appreciates the ever-expanding role of corporate counsel and how best to support clients in those roles. During her years in industry, she held the position of vice-president and corporate counsel, corporate secretary and business ethics officer, providing legal advice to the board and management on all aspects of the business, including corporate and technology acquisitions and divestures, issues related to research, clinical and pharmaceutical manufacturing projects and agreements.
Ms. Grove is the former managing partner of our Vancouver office and is currently the Canadian head of our life sciences and healthcare industry practice.
- Directors College, Stanford Law School, 2005
- LL.B., University of Victoria, 1992
- B.Sc. (Hons.), Biochemistry, University of Victoria, 1989
- British Columbia 1993
- M&A Counsel to Energizer Holdings, Inc. in the sale of the European-based Varta® consumer battery business in the Europe, Middle East, and Africa regions to German-based VARTA Aktiengesellschaft
- Ex-US M&A counsel to Energizer Holdings, Inc. on its acquisition of Spectrum Brands' global auto care business
- Ex-US M&A counsel to Energizer Holdings, Inc. on its acquisition of Spectrum Brands' battery and portable lighting business
- Canadian Counsel to Vivonet Inc. an industry leader in cloud-based hospitality solutions in its sale to Infor, a leading provider of industry-specific cloud applications. Prior to the sale, acted as general external counsel to Vivonet
- Acted as Canadian counsel for QLT Inc. (now Novelion Therapeutics Inc.) in the 2016 merger agreement with Aegerion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and concurrent equity financing, the 2015 a merger agreement with InSite Vision, 2013 sale of its punctal plug technology to Mati Therapeutics, 2012 sale of its commercial ocular pharmaceutical product, Visudyne, to Valeant (now Bausch Health) and 2010 sale of certain of its dermatology portfolio to Valocor Therapeutics (later acquired by Dermira)
- Counsel to Accel-Rx Health Sciences Accelerator Society, the first Canadian federally funded organization focused on maximizing new health sciences company creation in Canada
- Acted as external general counsel to leading automotive hydrogen fuel cell developer AFCC Automotive Fuel Cell Cooperative Corp., a joint venture established by Daimler AG and Ford Motor Company, including advising on numerous research and development collaborations
- Advising health authorities and residential care facilities in British Columbia on large group physician service contracts and care arrangements
- Represented CDRD Ventures Inc. in the sale of Kairos Therapeutics Inc. to Zymeworks
- Represented TELUS in its acquisition of Med Access Inc., an electronic medical records provider
- Acritas Star 2020 – Independently rated lawyer
- Canada's Most Powerful Women: WXN Top 100 Awards, 2017
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Biotechnology Law and Corporate Law, 2016-2017
British Columbia Bar Association
Cabinet Committee, United Way Campaign, Vancouver
Former member of the board of directors of STX Marine Inc. (now Vard Marine Inc.)
Licensing Executives Society
Former director, Canadian Business for Social Responsibility
Former chairman and director, St. John Ambulance, Vancouver Branch
Current board member of Canada's Auditing and Assurance Standards Oversight Council