Daniel E. SteinervCard
Related services and key industries
Dan Steiner is a partner on our business team and the head of our Vancouver office's mergers and acquisitions team. He advises public and private companies, private equity funds and pension plans regarding mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, the purchase and sale of businesses, the formation and financing of business ventures and general corporate law matters. Mr. Steiner has advised parties involved with three transactions that have won ACG British Columbia’s "Dealmakers of the Year" award (2016, 2014, and 2010).
Mr. Steiner has extensive experience in Canada-US and domestic transactions. He has advised clients involved in the infrastructure, technology, manufacturing, resource, entertainment, hospitality and transportation industries.
Prior to joining us in 2015, Mr. Steiner was a partner in the corporate and securities group of an international law firm. He was also an associate in the M&A group of Simpson Thacher & Bartlett in New York from 2000 until 2002. He articled and then practised in Toronto from 1996 until 1999.
Chambers Canada (2019) said:
"Daniel Steiner is well versed in sophisticated M&A and private equity transactions, including LBOs. One commentator reports: 'He is extremely efficient and particularly good at advising on mitigating risk.'"
Chambers Canada (2018) said:
"Daniel Steiner is acknowledged by interviewees as a 'bright and capable guy' who is 'very easy to work with.' He is well respected for his M&A expertise, with an impressive track record acting for private equity players and pension plans."
M.Sc., London School of Economics, 1993
B.A., Queen's University, 1992
- New York State Bar 1999
- British Columbia 2002
- Ontario 1998
Private Equity M&A
- Eli Global, LLC in its acquisition of CBV Collection Services Ltd. from Yellow Point Equity Partners II LP
- Stern Partners Inc. in its acquisition of Auld Phillips, Thinkingbox Media & Design Inc., Capital Printing & Forms Inc., BioFert Manufacturing Inc., McRae's Environmental Services Ltd. and Flexstar Packaging Inc.
- Tricor Pacific Capital, Inc. in its purchase of Tiger Calcium Services Inc. and its sale of Golden Boy to Post Holdings, Inc. for C$320 million. The transaction earned ACG BC's "Dealmakers of the Year" award (2014)
- Headwater Equity Partners in its investment in Mormak Equipment Ltd.
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan in its acquisition of four marine container terminals in North America from Orient Overseas (International) Limited of Hong Kong for US$2.4 billion
- Coastal Pacific Xpress in its sale to VersaCold Logistics Services. The transaction earned ACG BC's "Dealmakers of the Year" award (2016)
- Hexagon AB in its acquisition of Multivista, Forming Technologies Incorporated, Mintec, Inc. and MicroSurvey Software Inc.
- Paypoint PLC in its £29 million acquisition of Verrus Mobile Technologies and its sale of PayByPhone to Volkswagen Financial Services AG
- Bureau Veritas SA in its acquisitions of Acme Analytical Laboratories, Ltd. and OTI Canada Group
Venture Capital Investments
- Investments by TELUS Ventures (in Otono Networks), Madrona Ventures (in PiXPO and Eventbase Technology) and various funds (in NowPublic Technologies)
Chambers Canada, British Columbia: Corporate/Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2019
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2018-2019: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law; Mergers & Acquisitions; Private Equity; 2017-2019: recommended in Corporate Mid-Market
Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Corporate Governance Practice, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts, Private Equity Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2019); Named the "2015 Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law for Vancouver
Lexpert Special Edition in the Report on Business Magazine: Recognized as one of Canada's Leading Infrastructure Lawyers (September, 2015)
Business in Vancouver Top "Forty under 40": Recognized as a leader in the Vancouver business community, 2009
- "Representing a Business: From Startups to Mature Corporations" (co-presenter: Catherine Brayley), Canadian Bar Association Skilled Lawyer Series 2017, January 31, 2017.
- CLE BC’s Legal Strategies in Private M&A: The Auction Process Course (co-chair and speaker), Vancouver, May 2016.
- 36th Annual Northwest Securities Institute, (co-chair), Seattle, April 2016.
- "Practical Drafting Techniques For Contracts & Agreements," Federated Press 20th Negotiating and Drafting Major Business Agreements, Vancouver, May 2015.
- "Identifying Your Buyer and What They Want," CLE BC’s Legal Strategies in Private M&A Course, Vancouver, May 2015.
- "State and Provincial Regulatory Update" (moderator), 35th Annual Northwest Securities Institute Conference, Portland, Oregon, April 2015.
- "Guiding Company Directors: Roles, Duties and Liabilities of Directors," 16th Reinventing the Corporate Secretary Course (Federated Press), Vancouver, November 2014.
- "Shareholders' Agreements and Boards of Directors," Vancouver Board of Trade, Vancouver, October 2014.
- "Drafting Agreements: Tips, Traps & The Quest for a Crystal Clear Contract," Association of Corporate Counsel, Vancouver, October 2014.
- "Private Equity Investors in the Public Markets," CLE BC Advanced Securities, Vancouver, May 2014.
American Bar Association, Canadian Private Target M&A Deal Points Study Working Group (2016 to present)
Association for Corporate Growth (2006 to present)
Vancouver Aquarium, Governors Council (2015 to present)
Temple Sholom, Executive Committee and Board of Directors (2014 to present)
Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Vancouver, Board of Governors (2015 to present)
Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver, Finance Committee (2018 to present)
Union of Reform Judaism Canada, Steering Committee (2019 to present)
Jewish Family Services (Vancouver), advisory committee (2006 to present)
Publication | April 2017
Dolly Varden decision to allow a private placement in the face of a takeover bid confined to its facts
Publication | October 2016
Publication | October 2016
Publication | October 2016