Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Colleen Abel practises primarily corporate and commercial law, with a primary focus on energy and natural resources. Her practice involves providing legal advice to upstream and midstream oil and gas and corporate clients. She has a variety of experience in the interpretation, preparation and negotiation of transactional documents, joint venture arrangements and general commercial agreements, as well as due diligence and title review.
Ms. Abel has returned to us after working at an intermediate oil and gas producer as in-house counsel, where she worked on numerous transactions for the acquisition and divestment of oil and gas-related assets, as well as provision of legal services to all areas of the company, including joint venture, finance, marketing, engineering and operations. Her time in-house provided her with practical experience that she has been able to incorporate into her practice and advice to clients. Prior to her in-house experience, Colleen was an articling student and associate with us.
- Alberta 2010
- Brookfield Infrastructure on its acquisition of Enbridge's Canadian natural gas gathering and processing business in the Montney, Peace River Arch, Horn River and Liard basins in BC and Alberta for C$4.3 billion
- A privately held oil and gas company with a multi-well farmin and option agreement, with a publicly traded farmor, targeting the East Duvernay resource play in Alberta
- Mocal Energy Limited (a wholly owned subsidiary of JX Nippon Oil and Gas Exploration Corporation) in connection with its US$730 million disposition of a 5% participating interest in the Syncrude oilsands project to Suncor Energy Ventures Partnership
- PETRONAS Carigali Canada Ltd. in connection with: (i) its C$5.8 billion acquisition of Progress Energy Resources Corp.; and (ii) its C$1.1 billion acquisition of shale gas assets from Progress Energy Resources Corp.
- Advising and acting for clients on domestic oil and gas matters and transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, title review, royalty issues and oil and gas leasing matters
- Drafting and negotiating domestic energy-related agreements, including purchase and sale agreements, royalty agreements and joint venture agreements
- Drafting and advising on various commercial agreements, including loan/security agreements, services agreements and confidentiality agreements
- Advising receiver-managers, monitors, trustees and secured creditors in insolvency proceedings with respect to corporate matters and transactions concerning energy-related companies, including drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements and other commercial agreements
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
Publication | June 7, 2021