Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Fahad Siddiqui acts in corporate, contract, financial product, defamation, regulatory and public law disputes and appears in all levels of court and arbitrations throughout the country.
He regularly advises boards of directors, companies and industry associations on liability matters, challenges to legislation, and public engagement strategy, including appearances before committees of Parliament.
Fahad has guest lectured on Appellate Advocacy at Osgoode Hall Law School and published in peer-reviewed academic journals. His pro bono service includes cases heard by the Supreme Court of Canada and the Supreme Court of the United States and directorships of charities and not-for-profits serving low-income Torontonians.
Fahad served as a law clerk at the Supreme Court of Canada, the Court of Appeal for Ontario and the High Court of Delhi. He previously practised in the securities litigation group at Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP in New York City where he represented clients in the financial services, healthcare, technology, energy, food services and infrastructure industries.
Fahad is fluent in French and conversant in Hindi, Urdu, and Arabic.
J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2013
M.A., School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, 2009
B.A., Trinity College, University of Toronto, 2007
- Ontario 2014
- Defeated application seeking to enjoin $3-billion sale of shares in Highway 407 (4352238 Canada Inc. v. SNC-Lavalin Group Inc., et al., 2019 ONSC 4423)
- Various proceedings seeking urgent relief on behalf of activists and boards of directors in corporate governance and shareholder disputes
- Defeated claims of more than $80 million in insolvency proceedings of national retailer
- Multiple judicial review proceedings challenging legislation and policies adopted by federal and provincial governments and regulators
- Obtained emergency interim and interlocutory injunctions for leading reinsurance multinational requiring immediate return of confidential software code (Aon Benfield Canada ULC v. Vazir, 2018 ONSC 4529)
- Part of team that obtained order prohibiting acquisition of evidence in the US for use in proposed $1 billion class action in Ontario alleging price-fixing in the foreign exchange market (Mancinelli v. Royal Bank of Canada, 2017 ONSC 87, aff'd 2018 ONSC 1844 [Div. Ct.])
- Defeated anti-SLAPP motion and obtained videotaped apology, charitable donation, and significant damages award in defamation suit brought on behalf of food services company and its principal (Paramount v. Johnston, 2018 ONSC 3711, 2019 ONSC 2910)
- Resisted action threatened by multinational corporation against Canadian developer of aeronautical and automotive testing technologies
- Defeated motion for stay of technology company's breach of contract and negligence lawsuit against provincial government (Court Canada Ltd. v. Ontario, 2017 ONSC 6270)
- Pro bono work includes constitutional challenges to solitary confinement (2017 ONSC 7491) and COVID-19 practices in federal penitentiaries, and representing interveners and amici curiae before appellate courts including the Supreme Court of the United States (Manuel v. Joliet)
- LEXPERT, Top 10 Cases of 2019-20
"We Should Judge Decisions, not Judges," The Toronto Star
"Much Ado About § 1782: Compelling American Discovery for Use in Canadian Class Actions," Annual Review of Civil Litigation, cited in Ontario Superior Court Practice: Annotated Rules & Legislation
"Time to Name an Aboriginal Justice to the Supreme Court," The Toronto Star
"A Case Study on International Investment Law and Policy," Osgoode Hall Review of Law and Policy
- RODA and OBA, 6th Annual Diversity Conference (virtual), December 7, 2020
- Runnymede Society, Appellate Litigation in Canada and the US: Former Supreme Court Clerks' Perspectives (virtual), October 21, 2020
- Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP, COVID-19: Building business resiliency in Canada - Legal considerations for the new normal (webinar), April 22, 2020
- Association of Corporate Counsel, 6th Annual Securities Law Symposium (Toronto), "Potential Privilege Pitfalls for In-house Counsel," November 13, 2019
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- The Advocates' Society
Publication | October 21, 2020
Canada: COVID-19 (Coronavirus): Building business resiliency in Canada - Legal considerations for the new normal
Webinar | April 22, 2020
Publication | September 2018
Publication | September 2018