Our energy law practice is one of the largest global energy teams of any law firm in the world – the scale of our energy practice sets us apart from the rest of the field. Our reputation as a global market leader has been built on the foundations of our award winning clean energy projects and climate change practices.
The […] lawyers clearly know the market very well, and have the advantage of advising while knowing the context of the deal within the market.
Chambers Europe, 2016
Our German energy team is fully integrated in our global practice. We have more than 15 energy lawyers across our offices in Frankfurt, Hamburg and Munich as well as German lawyers in Brussels for international competition, antitrust and EU regulatory. Our lawyers are highly regarded in their field, frequently publish on energy related topics and give lectures on energy law.
We offer a wide range of advisory services as well as long-standing experience in all areas of energy law. In addition to our extensive experience in national and international renewable and conventional energy projects in Germany, Europe and North Africa for banks, investors, plant manufacturers and project developers, we advise clients on M&A transactions including their structuring and debt or equity financing.
Our areas of work include
- Renewable and conventional energy and infrastructure projects
- Project finance
- Capital markets
- M&A and joint ventures
- Trading and origination
- Antitrust and competition
- Litigation and arbitration
- Advising GE Capital on the acquisition of a minority stake in the 400 MW offshore wind project Merkur and subsequent negotiations with further equity sponsors. European Renewables Deal of the Year 2016 – Project Finance International.
- Advising the banks on the project financing and refinancing of the 288 MW offshore wind project “Butendiek” in the North Sea.
- Advising Swisspower Renewables on the acquisition and refinancing of a 150 MW onshore wind portfolio from Acciona Energy.
- Advising MEAG on the acquisition of two onshore wind portfolios with a total capacity of 120 MW from wpd.
- Advising an international construction group on its investment in a Bavarian geothermal project.
- Comprehensive due diligence and advice on regulatory issues to an international investor on its planned investment in a battery storage project in Germany.
- Advising the leading IoT platform provider Kiwigrid for energy management, Kiwigrid, on its latest financing round. Shareholders of Kiwigrid include AQTON, Innogy and LG Electronics.
- Advising LBBW, KfW IPEX and Bremer LB as mandated lead arrangers on the financing of the gas-fired power plant “Gemeinschaftskraftwerk Bremen” with a total capacity of 445 MW.
- Advising various utilities/energy companies on energy trading matters, incl. agreements for physical and derivative trading, long term supply and offtake agreements for power, gas and LNG and netting opinions.
- Advising various utilities/energy companies on compliance matters, including defense against insider trading and market manipulation allegations, advice and training on compliance with national and European market regulation and trade sanctions.
- Advising a German energy wholesale company on disputes regarding the validity and enforceability of power supply contracts with industrial customers.
- Representing a gas storage provider in disputes on long term capacity booking and storage agreements.
This is a selection of our most recent work. For a more detailed experience statement, please refer to the brochure: Our German energy practice