Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Sébastien Gingras has extensive experience as a legal and tax advisor. Throughout his career, his tax practice has led him to be involved in various transactions and operations where his involvement has extended well beyond the field of taxation. He advises investment funds, corporations, partnerships, public bodies, pension plans, commercial trusts, mutual funds and other businesses in their transactions and dealings, including investments, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations and dispositions, as well as their legal structure and internal affairs in general, while being able to inform and advise them on the tax matters of these transactions. He also advises shareholders and investors on the structure and tax aspects of their investments and prepares tax and estate plans.
Mr. Gingras has also acquired considerable experience in investment fund structures, including limited partnerships, for the ownership and management of real estate and the operation of active businesses.
Mr. Gingras is Québec chair of our business law group.
He practised for several years at the Montréal office where he gained extensive tax expertise. He participated in many transactions and prepared opinions on various tax matters.
LL.B., Université Laval, 1995
In-depth Tax Course, Parts I and II, C.I.C.A., 2000
- Quebec 1996
Mr. Gingras acted recently for:
- Copernic Technologies Inc. in the sale of all of its issued and outstanding shares to Mamma.com Inc. ($28 million)
- Biogénie S.R.D.C. Inc. in the sale of all of its issued and outstanding shares to Environmental Management Solutions Inc. ($55 million)
- iPerceptions Inc. in its initial public offering, a qualifying transaction on the TSX Venture Exchange and its prior reorganization
- Lyrtech Inc. in various acquisitions, including that of Innovator Electronic Assembly Inc., and the related financing, for an aggregate amount of $26 million
- Nortel Networks Ltd. in BCE’s distribution to its shareholders of its 35% stake in Nortel Networks Ltd. by means of a butterfly transaction
- A group of investors taking a stake in a new $100-million private investment fund investing in a $250-million hotel project
- A private investor taking a stake in a $30-million real estate investment fund investing in property in Florida
- A group of private investors taking a stake in a $85-million private investment fund in the health sector
- Groupe Sogesco Inc. and Coopérative des consommateurs de Lorette in setting up a real estate investment fund to develop a power centre ($20-$25 million)
- The Laval University pension fund in setting up a real estate fund of over $100 million for the development and management of senior citizens' residences
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (tax and financial planning association)
Publication | August 30, 2019
Publication | March 2019
Publication | March 2018
Publication | February 2018