Stephen J. KellyvCard
Related services and key industries
Stephen Kelly practises corporate and securities law, with particular emphasis on corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions. He regularly acts for large public companies, underwriters and investors in public offerings, including initial public offerings, bought-deal transactions and cross-border offerings as well as private placement transactions.
Mr. Kelly frequently advises on public and private mergers and acquisitions both nationally and internationally and has advised numerous boards of directors and independent committees in the context of M&A, compliance, corporate investigations and governance matters generally. He also advises clients on corporate reorganizations, continuous disclosure obligations, corporate governance matters, the preparation of shareholders’ meetings and other ongoing securities law questions.
Mr. Kelly is national practice head of our Canadian business law practice and also sits on our national management committee.
LL.B./B.C.L., McGill University, 1998
B.A., Carleton University, 1994
- Quebec 1999
Mr. Kelly has acted recently in the following matters:
- Dollarama Inc., for the underwriting group, in connection with over $1.5 billion in aggregate financings through an IPO, subsequent bought deals and debt private placements
- Aimia Inc. in numerous public offerings of debt and rate‑reset preferred shares
- Power Corporation and Power Financial Corporation, for the underwriting group, in numerous public offerings of debt and preferred shares
- SNC‑Lavalin Group Inc. in its public offering of $350 million in debentures
- Rona Inc. on numerous public offerings of common shares and rate‑reset preferred shares
- Fiera Capital Inc., for the underwriting syndicate, on various private placements effected by way of bought deals
Mergers & Acquisitions
- SNC‑Lavalin Group Inc. in its acquisition of Kentz Corporation, a publicly listed corporation in the UK, for $2.1 billion, its sale of Altalink to Berkshire Hathaway for approximately $3.1 billion and numerous other mergers and acquisitions
- Domtar Inc. with respect to its cross-border combination with Weyerhaeuser’s fine paper business, creating the largest fine paper company in North America
- Garda Inc. for the special committee of the board of directors in the sale of Garda to Stephan Cretier and Apax Capital Partners for $1.1 billion
- Fiera Capital Inc. for the special committee of the board of directors in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Natcan Investment Management from the National Bank of Canada for $310 million
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Corporate/Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Capital Markets: equity; M&A (Highly Regarded), 2019
- The Legal 500 Canada, 2016: Corporate/Commercial (Quebec)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2013-2017: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2017: recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities
- Lexpert, 2007: ranked as one of the “Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 in Canada” and “20 Canadian Corporate Lawyers to Watch”
- Canadian Bar Association
- St-Mary’s Hospital Annual Ball Committee
- Wine auction, Starlight Foundation
- Canadian Irish Studies Foundation, Concordia University