Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Heidi Reinhart’s practice covers all aspects of securities and corporate law, with an emphasis on public and private mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and providing corporate governance and securities regulatory advice. Ms. Reinhart is a member of our special situations team, which focuses on shareholder activist and defence mandates and complex M&A and reorganization transactions.
Ms. Reinhart has represented both purchasers and vendors (public and private corporations) in a number of friendly and hostile M&A transactions, including plans of arrangement, takeover bids and statutory restructurings. Ms. Reinhart has also represented both public companies and underwriters in connection with public offerings and has acted on behalf of issuers and investors in numerous private placement transactions.
Ms. Reinhart worked at our Toronto office as a summer student in 2004 and articled with us in 2006. She was awarded the Board of Governors’ Medal in Law upon graduation from the University of Windsor's faculty of law.
J.D., University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, 2005
LL.B., University of Windsor, 2005
B.Sc. (Hons.), University of Toronto, 2002
- Ontario 2006
Clients for whom Ms. Reinhart has acted include:
- Royal Bank of Canada with domestic public offerings of preferred shares and debt raising the equivalent of over C$4.6 billion, including its inaugural C$200 million domestic offering of Basel‑III compliant non‑cumulative, 5‑year rate reset preferred shares series AZ, and with international public offerings of debt, including its inaugural US$1.5 billion offering of Basel‑III compliant subordinated notes in the US and a C$1 billion offering of Samurai bonds in Japan
- Shareholder activism mandates - Counsel in over 25 proxy battles, including: Counsel to Agrium Inc. in its successful high-profile defence opposite JANA Partners LLC; Counsel to Westface Capital re: Maple Leaf Foods; Counsel to Mundoro Capital Inc. re: Northern Minerals Investment Corp., which established the Advance Notice Policy in Canada; Counsel to FrontFour Capital Group LLC and Sandpiper Group re: Granite Real Estate Investment Trust; Counsel to the dissidents re: Polar Star Mining
- Itafos (formerly MBAC Fertilizer Corp.) in its recapitalization transaction pursuant to a plan of compromise and arrangement and subsequent acquisitions of Stonegate Agricom Ltd. and GB Minerals Ltd.
- Jaguar Mining Inc. in its US$320 million recapitalization and financing transaction pursuant to a plan of compromise and arrangement
- Nortel Networks Corporation and Nortel Networks Limited in connection with Nortel's divestitures after it entered protection pursuant to the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act
- A syndicate of underwriters in connection with the going-public transaction and subsequent financing of Concordia Healthcare Corp.
- Dundee Corporation with the spin‑off of DREAM Unlimited Corp. by means of a plan of arrangement
- Graphic Packaging in its acquisition of Cascades Inc.'s North American boxboard manufacturing and converting assets
- Tuckamore Capital Management Inc. in its proposed going-private transaction wiht senior management and a private equity investor
- Breakwater Resources Ltd. in its friendly $663 million takeover by Nyrstr NV
- Board of Governors’ Medal in Law, University of Windsor
- Noted as a Lawyer to Watch by Canadian Legal L'expert Directory in Business Law.
- "Lawyers' Duties in an Age of Shareholder Activism," University of Toronto, Faculty of Law, Centre for the Legal Profession and The Program on Ethics in Law and Business, Toronto, May 2, 2019.
- “Dual Listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange and the Lima Stock Exchange,” Peru Under The New Government, Norton Rose Canada and the Peruvian-Canadian Chamber of Commerce, Toronto, October 26, 2011.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association
Publication | April 25, 2019
Aurora/CanniMed: Canadian securities regulators provide guidance on takeover bids in Canada – Expect to see more hard lock-ups and fewer tactical poison pills
Publication | March 2018
Publication | September 2016