Derek G. ChiassonvCard
Related services and key industries
Derek Chiasson is a member of our tax team. His principal focus is on income tax aspects of domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and corporate reorganizations.
He also has industry experience in the software sector, having served as vice-president, corporate development/strategy and legal affairs of a US public company listed on the NASDAQ exchange and a market leader in the video game industry.
B.C.L./LL.B., McGill University, 1996
In-Depth Tax Course, Parts I, II and III, C.I.C.A.
B.A., Western University, 1992
- Quebec 1998
Mr. Chiasson has acted as counsel to the following clients:
- SNC-Lavalin in connection with the planning, formation and launch of SNC-Lavalin Infrastructure Partners LP, the subscription by a Canadian subsidiary of BBGI SICAV S.A. for 80% of the limited partnership interests, and the transfer of an initial portfolio of infrastructure projects to the limited partnership (2017), its acquisition of WS Atkins plc and contemporaneous public offering and private placement of subscription receipts (2017), the sale of its 100% equity stake in AltaLink, Alberta's largest regulated electricity transmission company, to Berkshire Hathaway Energy for gross proceeds to SNC-Lavalin of approximately C$3.1 billion (2014), its sale of its 100% interest in Groupe immobilier Ovation, which owns the concession rights to Montreal's Maison symphonique concert hall, the permanent home of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, to Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc. (2014), its sale of SNC-Lavalin Energy Control Systems Inc. to GE Energy Canada (2010), and in connection with numerous other matters.
- Sverica International, a leading US private equity firm, in its sale of offender management systems provider Syscon Justice Systems to Harris Computer, a subsidiary of Constellation Software (2017), its sale of IT infrastructure solutions company Pivot Data Centres (formerly Care Factor Computer Services) to Rogers Communications Inc. for $155 million (2013), its acquisition from Securus Technologies of software solutions company Syscon Justice Systems (2010) and its acquisition of Care Factor Computer Services (2009), and in connection with numerous other matters.
- Laurentian Bank of Canada in its acquisition of US and Canadian inventory finance lender Northpoint Commercial Finance (2017), its acquisition of the Canadian equipment financing and corporate financing activities of CIT Group Inc. (2016), its acquisition of AGF Trust Company (2012), and the financing transactions contemporaneous with such transactions including private placement of common share subscription receipts with Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and the Fonds de solidarité des travailleurs du Québec, and in connection with numerous other matters.
- CAE Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Lockheed Martin Commercial Flight Training (2016), and the sale of its mining division, known as Datamine, to Constellation Software Inc., an international provider of market-leading software and services (2015), and in connection with numerous other matters.
- McKesson Canada in its acquisition of Uniprix, one of the largest groups of independent pharmacists in Quebec (2017), its acquisition of Remedy's Rx banner (2015) and its acquisition of Patient Direct Group and Specialized Health Care Corporation, an Oakville, Ontario-based specialty and biological drug distribution, patient support and direct-to-patient drug dispensing business (2010).
- Acklands-Grainger, Canada's largest distributor of industrial, safety and fastener supplies, in connection with its acquisition of WFS Enterprises Inc., a leading distributor of tools and supplies to industrial markets in Southern Ontario and select US locations (2014) and its acquisition of substantially all the assets of Excel F.I.G., a regional distributor of industrial supplies in the Province of Quebec (2008) and Solus Sécurité Inc., a leading fire protection and safety distributor in Quebec (2010), and in connection with numerous other matters.
- Ivanhoe Cambridge, the real estate subsidiary of Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, in connection with its sale of a portfolio of shopping centres and office buildings to Cominar Real Estate Investment Trust for C$1.53 billion (2014), its acquisition of Commerz Real Investmentgesellschaft mbH's interests in four prominent Canadian shopping centres: Place Ste-Foy in Quebec City; Galeries Rive Nord in Repentigny, Quebec; Mayfair Shopping Centre in Victoria, British Columbia; and Mic Mac Mall located in Dartmouth,Nova Scotia (2012), its acquisition of the Rockhill Apartments in Montreal, a 1000-unit residential complex acquired for C$160 million (2011), its acquisition of OMERS Realty Corporation's interests in Lynden Park Mall (2011), its acquisition of OMERS Realty Corporation's interests in the Place Laurier, Oshawa Centre and Oakridge Centre shopping malls, Sears Canada's interests in Place Vertu shopping centre as part of the ongoing redevelopment of the property and sale of Ivanhoe Cambridge Inc.'s interests in the Upper Canada Mall and Southcentre Mall in Calgary (2010), and numerous other matters.
- Metro Inc. in its acquisition of a majority stake in leading Quebec bakery Premiere Moisson (2014) and its acquisition of Adonis (2012).
- Stornoway Diamond Corporation, a leading Canadian diamond exploration and development company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, in its $946-million comprehensive financing transaction with US private equity firm Orion Mine Finance, Investissement Québec, and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec to fund the construction of the Renard Diamond Project, Quebec's first diamond mine. These transactions comprised: an offering of common share subscription receipts, by way of private placement and concurrent prospectus offering in Canada; a forward sale of diamonds by way of a streaming agreement; a senior secured loan facility; a convertible unsecured loan; a cost overrun credit facility; and an equipment financing facility (2014) and in connection with its acquisition of the remaining 50% interest of Diaquem Inc., a subsidiary of Investissement Québec, in the Renard diamond project, and the related bought deal financing (2010), and in connection with numerous other matters.
- Enobia Pharma Corp in connection with the negotiation and execution of a merger agreement with Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. whereby Enobia was acquired by Alexion for US$1.08 billion (2012).
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2014-2019: recommended in Corporate Tax
- Canadian federal budget 2017 - tax measures, Norton Rose Fulbright legal update, March 2017.
- Supreme Court of Canada rules on value of assumed obligations in asset sales, June 2013.
- Denial of Canadian R&D tax credits - not a CCPC based on de facto control, February 2013.
- Canada - Canada's Federal Court of Appeal rules on value of assumed obligations in asset sales, January 2012.
- "Modifications législatives récentes" seminar presented in the context of a conference organized by l'Association de planification fiscale et financière entitled "Colloque sur les réorganisations d'entreprises et les transactions commerciales," March 15, 2018.
- "Développements récents - Fiscalité des entreprises," seminar presented to the Tax Executives Institute, March 14, 2018.
- "Enjeux canadiens et transfrontaliers pour les sociétés de personnes," seminar presented in the context of a conference organized by Wolters Kluwer entitled Fiscalité des sociétés de personnes, 3e édition, June 1st, 2017.
- "Webinar: Insights and business impact of the 2017 Canadian Federal Budget," March 23, 2017.
- "Certains enjeux fiscaux liés aux investissements immobiliers effectués par l'entremise d'une société de personnes," seminar presented in the context of a seminar organized by Wolters Kluwer entitled Fiscalité des sociétés de personnes, 2e édition, June 9, 2016.
- "Webinar: Tax Issues in Mining – Streaming," November 26, 2014.
- "Cross-border acquisitions financings, second Annual Conference," May 28, 2014.
- "Transfert d'entreprise impliquant la participation d'une société de capital de risque," seminar presented in the context of a conference organized by the Canadian Tax Foundation entitled "Séminaire technique sur les sociétés privées", January 30, 2014.
- “The New Foreign Affiliate Dumping Rules,” co-presented with Jeff Oldewening, Young IFA Network of the International Fiscal Association (Canadian Branch), 2012.
- “Vérification diligente et négociation des clauses fiscales,” co-presented with Jake Malczewski, presentation at the Journée d’études fiscales, Canadian Tax Foundation, 2012.
- International Fiscal Association
- Council member of the IFA Canada Council
- Canadian Bar Association
- Former member of the CBA/CICA Joint Commitee on Taxation
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Former member of the Planning Committee and Young Practitioners’ Committee
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (fiscal and financial planning association)
Publication | March 2019
Publication | January 15, 2019
Publication | April 2018
Publication | March 2018