Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Darren Hueppelsheuser’s practice concentrates on income tax law, with an emphasis on the tax aspects of financing and transaction planning for corporations and partnerships in both private and public transactions.
Mr. Hueppelsheuser also advises on international tax structuring of Canadian inbound and outbound investments.
Mr. Hueppelsheuser joined our Calgary office as an articling student in 1996 and became a partner in 2004.
- LL.B., Western University, 1996
- B.Com., University of Alberta, 1993
- Alberta 1997
Examples of areas where Mr. Hueppelsheuser has recently provided advice include:
- Paramount Resources Ltd. on its C$450 million acquisition of Apache Canada
- Magnetar Capital on its C$200 million investment in Painted Pony
- Tesco Corporation on its acquisition by Nabors Industries Ltd.
- Black Swan Energy Ltd. on its C$200 million acquisition of Carmel Bay Exploration Ltd.
- Talisman Energy Inc. on its C$16.5 billion acquisition by Repsel S.A.
- Vantage Pipeline and Mistral Midstream Inc. on their US$650 million acquisition by Pembina Pipeline Corporation
- Barrick Gold Corporation in its divestiture of Barrick Energy Inc. for C$455 million
- Paramount Resources Ltd. on a C$300 million high-yield notes offering
- Trilogy Energy Corp. on a C$300 million high-yield notes offering
- PETRONAS in its acquisition of Progress Energy Resources Corp. - C$5.8 billion
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2014-2019: recommended in Corporate Tax
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013-2014: Tax
- Chambers Global: Canada, 2013-2014: Tax
- "Recent Transactions of Interest" (co-author and co-presenter: Adrienne Oliver), Canadian Tax Foundation National Conference, NRF Toronto, November 2018.
- "Assessing BEPS: Origins Standards, and Responses," International Fiscal Association (IFA) Topic 1 2017 Cahier. Co-authored Canadian National Report, 2017.
- "Advisory Common Interest Privilege," Tax Executives Institute luncheon speaker, March 2017.
- "Royalty Investments," Canadian Petroleum Tax Society luncheon speaker, October 2017.
- "Private Equity Investments," Canadian Bar Association Tax Specialist luncheon speaker, November 2017.
- “The Importance of Economic Substance in International Tax Planning” (co-presenter: Andrius Kontrimas, NRF Houston, and Dominic Stuttaford, NRF London), Tax Executives Institute Tax School, Houston, TX, February 26, 2015.
- “Treaty Shopping & Foreign Affiliate Dumping Update" (co-presenter: Dion Legge), CPTS November luncheon meeting, Calgary, AB, November 20, 2013.
- “Gaining Insight to the Key Tax Considerations for Canadian LNG Projects” (co-presenter: Dion Legge), Canada LNG Export Forum, Calgary September 17 to 19, 2013.
- “Recent Developments in the Taxation of Partnerships” (co-presenter: Dion Legge), CPTS November luncheon meeting, Calgary, November 21, 2012.
- “August 14, 2012, Draft Legislation, Foreign Affiliate Dumping Proposals” (co-presenter: Dion Legge), Tax Executive Institute luncheon meeting, Calgary, September 24, 2012.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Tax Specialist Section, past executive
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
Taking stock: an update on the new proposed Canadian federal income tax rules for employee stock options
Publication | July 2019
Publication | June 28, 2019
Publication | March 2019
Publication | February 2018