Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Regulation and investigations
- Banking and finance
- Private equity and venture capital
Darren Hueppelsheuser’s practice concentrates on income tax law, with an emphasis on the tax aspects of financing and transaction planning for corporations and partnerships in both private and public transactions.
Mr. Hueppelsheuser also advises on international tax structuring of Canadian inbound and outbound investments and the tax aspects of debt reorganizations and financial restructurings in creditor proceedings.
Mr. Hueppelsheuser regularly presents on tax matters and has written and presented for the Canadian Tax Foundation Annual Conference and was a Canadian national co-reporter for the 2017 International Fiscal Association conference report.
- Alberta 1997
Examples of areas where Mr. Hueppelsheuser has recently provided advice include:
- Acting for noteholders on restructuring transactions involving Pengrowth Energy Corporation and Bonavista Energy Corporation
- Paramount Resources Ltd. on its C$450 million acquisition of Apache Canada
- Magnetar Capital on its C$200 million investment in Painted Pony
- Black Swan Energy Ltd. on its C$200 million acquisition of Carmel Bay Exploration Ltd.
- Talisman Energy Inc. on its C$16.5 billion acquisition by Repsel S.A.
- Vantage Pipeline and Mistral Midstream Inc. on their US$650 million acquisition by Pembina Pipeline Corporation
- Barrick Gold Corporation in its divestiture of Barrick Energy Inc. for C$455 million
- Paramount Resources Ltd. on a C$300 million high-yield notes offering
- Trilogy Energy Corp. on a C$300 million high-yield notes offering
- PETRONAS in its acquisition of Progress Energy Resources Corp. - C$5.8 billion
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2014-2023: recommended in Corporate Tax
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Tax Law, 2018-2024
- Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyers, 2022-2023
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013-2014: Tax
- Chambers Global: Canada, 2013-2014: Tax
- "Transaction Costs" (co-author and co-presenter: Derek Chiasson), Canadian Tax Foundation National Conference, December 2019.
- "Webinar - M&A Academy Series: Tax Consequences in an M&A deal" (co-presenters: Derek Chiasson and Adrienne Oliver), February 2019.
- "Recent Transactions of Interest" (co-author and co-presenter: Adrienne Oliver), Canadian Tax Foundation National Conference, November 2018.
- "Assessing BEPS: Origins Standards, and Responses," International Fiscal Association (IFA) Topic 1 2017 Cahier. Co-authored Canadian National Report, 2017.
- "Advisory Common Interest Privilege," Tax Executives Institute luncheon speaker, March 2017.
- "Royalty Investments," Canadian Petroleum Tax Society luncheon speaker, October 2017.
- "Private Equity Investments," Canadian Bar Association Tax Specialist luncheon speaker, November 2017.
- “The Importance of Economic Substance in International Tax Planning” (co-presenter: Andrius Kontrimas, NRF Houston, and Dominic Stuttaford, NRF London), Tax Executives Institute Tax School, Houston, TX, February 26, 2015.
- “Treaty Shopping & Foreign Affiliate Dumping Update" (co-presenter: Dion Legge), CPTS November luncheon meeting, Calgary, AB, November 20, 2013.
- “Gaining Insight to the Key Tax Considerations for Canadian LNG Projects” (co-presenter: Dion Legge), Canada LNG Export Forum, Calgary September 17 to 19, 2013.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Tax Specialist Section, past executive
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Canadian Petroleum Tax Society
October 28, 2022
October 27, 2022
Syndicate of underwriters completes public offering of common shares of TC Energy for gross proceeds of C$1.8bn
September 19, 2022
May 04, 2022