Lindsay A. Mullen
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Lindsay A. MullenvCard
Related services and key industries
Lindsay Mullen is a trusted legal advisor in the area of occupational health and safety, regulatory investigations and compliance, emergency response, defending regulatory prosecutions and workplace law.
Ms. Mullen represents federally and provincially regulated companies in the energy, transportation, construction, financial and manufacturing sectors. She advises on regulatory compliance requirements and strategies, prime contractor issues, incident response, investigations and investigation strategies, reporting, and compliance with directives and orders. Ms. Mullen is an experienced trial lawyer who represents corporations in defending regulatory prosecutions and fatality inquiries, including high-profile and sensitive cases. Ms. Mullen also takes on a variety of unique mandates requiring experienced and astute counsel. Her practice also includes acting as counsel to independent tribunals in administrative proceedings.
Ms. Mullen also provides strategic advice to companies in relation to employment contracts, restrictive covenants, policies and procedures, terminations, illness and disability, violence and harassment, human rights and accommodation, confidentiality obligations, and fiduciary obligations. Ms. Mullen defends wrongful and constructive dismissal lawsuits and human rights complaints and represents companies in litigation relating to confidentiality, proprietary, non-solicitation and non-competition rights.
She is a frequent speaker on occupational health and safety law, regulatory investigations issues and emergency response.
B.A., University of British Columbia, 1991
LL.B., University of Calgary, 1995
- Alberta 1996
Ms. Mullen has acted in the following selected mandates:
- Defence counsel to global energy company following worksite fatalities (present)
- Defence counsel to oil and gas service company respecting prosecution for serious worksite incident (present)
- Investigation counsel for global manufacturer following worksite explosion (2018)
- Investigation counsel for global industrial gases company following serious worksite incident (2018)
- Defence counsel for global energy company respecting environmental prosecution (2018)
- Obtained a permanent stay of prosecution in advance of trial on charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act following a successful application for unreasonable delay (in accordance with R v Jordan) in favour of an upstream oil and gas company (2017)
- Obtained a withdrawal of all charges issued against an exploration and production company during the first day of trial arising from a serious workplace incident (2017)
- Investigation counsel to a federally-regulated telecommunications company following a workplace incident (2017)
- Successfully appealed direction issued following work-related fatality in Canadian National Railway Company v Teamsters Canada Rail Conference, 2016 OHSTC 20 (2016)
- Advisory counsel to global ECP company in relation to complex construction project
- Chambers Canada, Alberta: Employment and Labour, Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2019: recommended in Occupational Health & Safety
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Regular guest instructor of the Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education for Oral Advocacy Teaching and advocacy training and skills