Thomas J. Moran
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Thomas J. MoranvCard
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Thomas Moran is a partner on the litigation team, with experience in a broad range of commercial and corporate litigation matters, including cases relating to real estate and commercial lease disputes, and contractual claims regarding natural resources and other property-related issues. Mr. Moran has also acted as counsel in fraud and defamation claims, actions involving the liability of corporate directors, and insurance defence matters. He has appeared regularly at mediations and has acted for clients engaged in commercial arbitration disputes.
In addition, Mr. Moran acts as counsel on behalf of local governments, including the Township of Langley and the City of Coquitlam, on a variety of matters, including regulatory enforcement and cases involving challenges to the constitutionality of bylaws. He also acts on behalf of both property owners and local governments in expropriation claims and administrative disputes. Mr. Moran has experience in both trial and appellate matters, and has appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia and before the Supreme Court of Canada.
Mr. Moran is actively involved in professional development both within the firm and in the legal community. He is chair of the Civil Litigation Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association in Vancouver, and has presented lectures on legal issues for lawyers and other professionals on a range of topics, including damages and other contract and tort law issues, as well as municipal and director’s liability.
J.D., University of British Columbia, 2009
B.A., University of Alberta, 2006
- British Columbia 2010
Matters in which Mr. Moran has acted include:
- FortisAlberta Inc v EQUS REA Ltd., 2016 ABQB 307 (Alberta Court of Queen's Bench and commercial arbitration) – successfully upholding arbitration award and dismissing jurisdictional challenge
- Crest Realty Westside Ltd. v W & W Parker Enterprises Ltd., 2015 BCCA 447 (Court of Appeal for British Columbia and Supreme Court of British Columbia) – successfully upholding judgment in respect of the sale of a commercial property, and dismissing defence of fraudulent misrepresentation
- Merit Consultants International Ltd. v Chandler, 2014 BCCA 121 (Court of Appeal for British Columbia and Supreme Court of British Columbia) – successfully upholding the dismissal of an action against corporate directors involving defamation and a claim for inducing breach of contract
- MacKandy-Gray v London Drugs Limited, 2013 BCSC 2069 (Supreme Court of British Columbia) – successfully dismissing an action under the Occupiers Liability Act involving a commercial premises
- Canada (Attorney General) v PHS Community Services Society, 2011 SCC 44 (Supreme Court of Canada) – counsel for the BC Civil Liberties Association in the successful defence of Insite, the safe injection site in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver
- Chief Joe Hall v Canada Lands Company Limited, 2011 BCSC 103 (Supreme Court of British Columbia) – counsel for a real estate development company in an action involving claims based upon aboriginal title and reserve interests
- More Marine Ltd. v Alcan Inc., 2011 BCSC 593 (Supreme Court of British Columbia) –successfully changing the location and manner in which document production would occur in a document-intensive, complex commercial litigation matter
- Hatton v Leahy, 2010 BCCA 290 (Court of Appeal for British Columbia and Supreme Court of British Columbia) – successfully enforcing the terms an agreement to vacate contract in a tenancy dispute
- Canadian Bar Association
- Former Chair, Canadian Bar Association Civil Litigation Vancouver Section
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Vancouver Bar Association