Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Alexis Kerr uses her recent 12 years of experience (seven as general counsel) advising British Columbia's largest health authority, as well as her previous private practice experience as a commercial litigation and privacy lawyer, to provide practical, business-driven and results-oriented advice and assistance to clients in the healthcare industry and in all industries where privacy and data protection is an ongoing and ever-evolving challenge.
In the healthcare space, Ms. Kerr advises health authority boards and senior executive teams on all aspects of law that affect their broad-based operations, including conducting administrative hearings. She is well versed in leading complex contract negotiations, formal and alternative dispute resolution, managing clinician behavioral and clinical practice issues, and facilitating enterprise risk management.
On the data protection and privacy front, Ms. Kerr has many years of experience advising organizational clients on compliance with applicable privacy laws, data mapping and developing privacy impact assessments, developing privacy management programs, policies and procedures, employee training and education, investigating and managing data breach incidents and litigating privacy-related issues before both privacy regulators and the courts.
- J.D., University of Toronto, 2001
- Bachelor of Journalism (Highest Honours), Carleton University, 1997
- Ontario 2002
- British Columbia 2004
- "Invasion of privacy in the context of an investigation: Does it render evidence inadmissible in Canadian civil proceedings?" (co-author), International In-House Counsel Journal, December 2015.
- Privacy Law in the Private Sector: An Annotation of the Legislation in Canada, (contributing author), Canada Law Book, 2002 (loose-leaf service).
- "Privacy in action: The impact of private sector privacy laws on litigation in Canada" (co-author), Canadian Privacy Law Review, 2006.
- "Solicitor-client privilege in FOI" (panelist) and "Access, the duty to document, and deletion of records" (moderator), Access to Information and Privacy Law Symposium, Canadian Bar Association, Ottawa, October 2019 (upcoming).
- "Latest employment law trends to optimize your HR operations" (panelist), Women in Law Vancouver Forum, Benchmark Litigation, Vancouver, May 2019.
- "Big data and privacy" (panelist) and "Privacy and Health" (moderator), Privacy Law conference, Canadian Bar Association – BC Branch, Vancouver, April 2019.
- "Canadian Update" (panelist), Access to Information and Privacy Law Symposium, Canadian Bar Association, Ottawa, October 2018.
- "Litigating in the digital age: Technology and privacy concerns" (panelist), Women in Litigation Vancouver Forum, Benchmark Litigation, Vancouver, May 2018.
- "Update on privacy in employment law" (panelist), Access to Information and Privacy Law Symposium, Canadian Bar Association, Ottawa, October 2017.
- "FOI update for the public and private sectors," Key Issues in Privacy and Information Management webinar series, OsgoodePD, 2013-2017.
- "President Trump's executive order on domestic safety: Privacy implications for Canadians," BC Privacy Professionals Networking Forum, Vancouver, March 2017.
- "Data localization and data sovereignty" (panelist), Privacy and Access 20/20 Conference, Reboot Communications Inc., Vancouver, November 2015.
- "Privacy protection in the context of public-private initiatives: A health industry perspective" (panelist), Information Privacy and Data Protection conference, Lexpert, Vancouver, March 2015.
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- BC Privacy Professionals Networking Forum
- Chair, Privacy and Access Law Section, Canadian Bar Association, from Sept. 2019
- Former chair (multi-term), Freedom of Information and Privacy Law Section, CBA – BC Branch
- Guest lecturer, University of British Columbia Masters of Health Administration course, 2013-2016
- Former member, University of British Columbia Behavioral Research Ethics Board, 2006-2008
- Certified Information Privacy Professional – Canada, International Association of Privacy Professionals, 2006