Business brands are some of the most valuable intellectual property – and even assets – that a company may own. Our global trademarks and brands team is made up of more than 100 highly experienced lawyers, agents, paralegals and staff located in the world’s commercial centers on five continents, working closely together to provide clients with seamless, coordinated advice on brand portfolio management and protection, as well as on transactional matters involving trademarks and design rights.
We handle all aspects of trademark law, including clearing, registering, maintaining and licensing trademarks and associated rights such as design rights. We also have extensive experience in enforcing trademark rights against infringement, dilution and counterfeiting and related litigation.
Working as trusted strategic advisors to our clients, we protect, monetize and enforce some of the world’s most recognizable brands, trademarks and trade dress, thereby helping clients minimize risks and maximize the value in their brands and strengthen their brand identify.
Our areas of work include
- Anti-counterfeiting counseling and enforcement, including customs seizures
- Cooperating with enforcement authorities in criminal investigations
- Domestic and international portfolio management, including clearance, opinions, prosecution, maintenance and overall strategy
- Internet domain and social media issues
- Litigation and alternative dispute resolution
- Policing, including customs filings
- Security interests and other agreements
- Trademark and design-right proceedings before national intellectual property offices
- Trademark, designs and brands transactions and licensing
- Unfair competition issues
Rankings and accolades
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Intellectual Property (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Chambers Global, Canada: Intellectual Property (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Legal 500, Canada: Intellectual Property, The Legal 500, 2018
- IP Stars, Canada: Trademark Contentious, Managing Intellectual Property, 2017
- IP Stars, Canada: Trademark Filing and Prosecution, Managing Intellectual Property, 2017
- WTR 1000, Canada, World Trademark Review, 2017
- WTR 1000, Canada: Anti-counterfeiting, World Trademark Review, 2017