Our dedicated global practice is composed of more than 80 data protection, privacy and cybersecurity lawyers based in many of the world’s key risk jurisdictions.
We help clients manage legal risks related to cybersecurity, privacy, data governance, eDiscovery, information technology, eCommerce and intellectual property. Our clients include large corporates, government and specialist internet and data-rich companies operating across a broad range of sectors including financial services; aviation; life sciences, healthcare and pharmaceuticals; retail; insurance; energy; telecommunications and technology.
We advise our clients across multiple jurisdictions and regions, including Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa and the Middle East. As an integrated cross-border group, we provide our clients with an integrated worldwide service.
Data protection and privacy
Our deep industry experience and global perspective means that we can advise our clients at each stage of the data lifecycle. At the front end, we help our clients assess and reduce their privacy and security risks and comply with applicable laws. When developing marketing programs or new products and services, we assist clients by advising on privacy and security at the outset to maximize the effectiveness of their offerings and avoid legal and regulatory pitfalls. We advise clients on complex issues associated with both personal and sensitive business data, including its collection, use, storage, disclosure, transfer and destruction. We counsel clients on legal compliance and business strategy relating to privacy and security risk management, cybersecurity and technology transactions.
Data breach and cybersecurity incident response
We are able to draw upon our global experience to advise clients on the investigation, containment and remediation of a broad range of data breaches and other cybersecurity incidents and have acted in relation to many of the world’s most high-profile incidents in this area in recent years. Minimizing financial loss and reputational damage is our highest priority, and we have an established reputation of achieving that objective for our clients. We frequently provide immediate incident response services across multiple jurisdictions and have advised clients in the context of cyber incidents with implications in over 120 jurisdictions and affecting many millions of individuals. We know the key regulators well across a broad range of jurisdictions and have developed a deep understanding of those regulators’ priorities from a data protection, privacy and cybersecurity perspective.
In addition to assisting clients in their response to regulator investigations, we advise on class action lawsuits and other claims that arise out of privacy violations and security breaches. We are available to our clients on a 24/7/365 basis, and provide immediate assistance via our incident response team members across the globe.
Our areas of work include
- Investigation, containment and remediation of sophisticated data breaches and cybersecurity incidents
- Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity audits, compliance risk assessment and remediation
- Data security, privacy and technology regulatory response and litigation
- Regulatory investigations by data protection authorities and sector-specific regulators
- Development of security and privacy policies, best practices and procedures
- Privacy policies for organizations and their websites
- Security incident investigation, response and remediation
- Cloud services and computing
- Cross-border data flow requirements, including Privacy Shield, EU Binding Corporate Rules and other solutions
- Cybersecurity and privacy contract development and negotiation
- Cyber risk management and incident response
- Data hub relocation projects
- Data protection program development, including supporting consumer engagement activities such as marketing and advertising
- Leveraging personal information for advertising and marketing
- Management of employee information and patient medical records
- M&A transactions
- Mobile privacy issues
- Proactive incident response planning
- Restrictions on collection and use of consumer information
- Strategic regulatory compliance advice
- Technology transactions
- Vendor management program development and implementation
- BTI CyberSavvy 16, Listed among the leading 16 law firms for cybersecurity and data privacy matters, The BTI Consulting Group, 2020
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Information Technology, Chambers and Partners, 2021
- Chambers Global, Canada: Information Technology, Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Legal 500 Canada, Technology, The Legal 500, 2021
- New Products and Services Award, FT Innovative Lawyers North America Awards, The Financial Times Ltd., 2019