Employers regulated by federal labour laws face constant challenges as hundreds of new regulations are introduced each year. Increasing penalties for non-compliance intensify the need to stay proactive and informed.
Clients depend on us for bilingual strategic advice and representation before courts, tribunals and arbitrators in all matters of employment disputes and human rights complaints. We represent private and public employers across Canada in a range of industries including media and telecommunications, rail, road and air transportation, financial services, energy, postal and courier services, passenger transit and security, and federal Crown corporations and agencies.
Our integrated team monitors regulatory developments to ensure that employers fully understand their own rights and obligations — and those of their employees. Our lawyers possess extensive experience in appearing before federal regulators, tribunals and courts, including the Canada Industrial Relations Board, the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal and the Federal Courts, and have also been involved in the negotiation of myriads of national collective agreements.
We have extensive experience in employment disputes, and also handle human rights and related issues, including advising and representing employers with respect to development of policies and strategies of defense in investigations or complaints.
Our areas of work include
- Bad faith bargaining charges
- Bargaining unit consolidations
- Certification applications
- Collective agreements
- Duty of accommodation
- Employee discipline and discharge
- Employment and pay equity
- Essential services disputes
- Individual and group terminations and layoffs
- Occupational health and safety
- Official Languages Act
- Remuneration, pension and benefits issues
- Successorship and common employer applications
- Unfair labour practice allegations
- Unlawful strikes and binding interest arbitration
- Workplace compensation
- Workplace privacy
Awards and accolades
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Employment and Labour (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Chambers Canada, Alberta: Employment and Labour, Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Chambers Canada, Ontario: Employment and Labour (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Employment and Labour (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Chambers Canada, British Columbia: Employment and Labour, Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Chambers Global, Canada: Employment and Labour (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Legal 500 Canada, Labour and Employment (Tier 1), The Legal 500, 2020