The Employment and Labour Law (E&L) Group at Norton Rose Fulbright in Canada represents employers in both the private and public sectors and in a variety of industries including manufacturing, resources, technology, transportation, energy, retail, financial services and pharmaceuticals.
With over 75 lawyers dedicated to this exclusively management-side practice, our E&L Group offers tailored and effective solutions by taking into consideration our clients’ industries, competitive environments and corporate cultures. Our team provides efficient conflict resolution, strategic advice to minimize risk, and timely, straightforward and thorough communication.
Some of the unique attributes of our E&L Group include:
- Heavy emphasis on labour and employment litigation. We routinely litigate before labour relations boards, labour arbitrators, human rights tribunals and the courts, including in judicial reviews and Charter litigation matters.
- Highly experienced in collective bargaining. Our lawyers regularly engage in complex negotiations and have earned the respect of clients, union counterparts and third party neutrals.
- Experts in preserving non-unionized work environments. We have a successful track record counselling clients on preserving union-free work environments, including some of the leading cases in this area.
- Privileged access to decision-makers. Our approach to labour relations allows many of our lawyers to have privileged access to both senior executives and union leaders.
- Strategic employment law advice. We routinely provide clients with strategic advice on restructuring, outsourcing and organization design. As well, we assist in the negotiation of executive employment contracts, non-competition agreements and incentive plans.
- Largest health and safety team. With one of the largest occupational health and safety teams in Canada, we help clients deal with health and safety prosecutions, stop work orders, workers’ compensation adjudication and assessments, and other challenges.
- Timely transaction support. We routinely advise on employment issues in mergers, acquisitions and restructurings,including with respect to pensions and benefits matters.
- Construction industry labour relations. This is a highly specialized area of practice and we have the largest and most experienced group of management-side labour lawyers serving the construction industry among multi-service legal practices.
- Federal labour and employment law. Our lawyers possess extensive knowledge and expertise through our longstanding representation of our many federally regulated clients.
- International mobility assistance. We frequently provide our clients with legal services related to business immigration, both inbound and outbound.
- Global expertise. We have a team of legal professionals around the world to advise on your employment and labour matters outside of Canada.
Rankings and accolades
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Immigration, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Employment and Labour (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, Alberta: Employment and Labour (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, Ontario: Employment and Labour (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Employment and Labour (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, British Columbia: Employment and Labour, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Legal 500, Canada: Labour and Employment (Tier 1), The Legal 500, 2018
- Legal 500, Canada: Business Immigration, The Legal 500, 2018
- Chambers Global, Canada: Employment and Labour (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2017
||Maritime Employers Association
|Aéroports de Montréal
||Mechanical Contractors Association of Ontario
||Day & Ross Transportation
||National Bank of Canada
|Archer Daniels Midland
||Ontario Power Generation
||Electrical Safety Authority
|Black & McDonald
||Greater Toronto Sewer and Watermain Contractors Association
||Rio Tinto Alcan
||Jim Pattison Group
||TransAlta Energy Corporation
|Canada Post Corporation